Topic

Looking for a tent that sleeps two and a 80lb lab

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Looking for a tent that sleeps two and a 80lb lab

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Shane Stewart
    BPL Member

@anacrime

Hey all!

My fiance and I are in the market for a slightly bigger tent for ourselves and our dog. Searched the forum and only found posts that were years old. Hoping to find more up to date options that might have come on the market.

Right now we have a Cloudburst 2 and it kind of works, but we want a bit more room. We may get a second dog this year also.

Thanks!

Paul S.
    BPL Member

@pschontz

Locale: PNW

With two dogs the Hogback would work well. For a four man the footprint isn’t crazy big like a pyramid would be. I’d go with the partial inner too if your dogs think mesh is a passable barrier.

BPLwiia
    Spectator

@bplwiia

I agree with Paul. The Hogback. You’re already familiar with TT and, splitting it up in two backpacks, it would only be be two pounds per person.

https://www.tarptent.com/product/hogback/

Joe S
    BPL Member

@joephish-2

Locale: SF Bay Area

Tarptent Stratospire 2 with Sidecar might work for you.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

The Sidecar .

looks like this :

takes up one vestibule. The other vestibule is of the same size so still big enough for 2 packs and boots out of the way.

Arthur
    BPL Member

@art-r

I love Tarptents too. But i have an REI T3 Plus that is a couple of years old, never used, will let it go a lot less than the tarptent.  If interested, PM me as this is not the right forum for buying and selling.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

Look for a hexagonal 3 person tent.  You and your fiance will occupy the central area of the tent. Relegate the dog(s) to the triangular area to each side.  Otherwise in a rectangular configuration the dog(s) will render a large portion of the area useless for human occupation.

Big Agnes is a contender.

Also be aware that trail-shredded dog toenails will easily slice a 20D UL airmat. You will want some sort of buffer between dog and matt.

Michael K
    BPL Member

@chinookhead

I’d go with a Copper Spur HV UL3.  It’ll be 8 inches wider and 4 inches longer than the Cloudburst 3.  I really like the new HV versions of these tents  with steeper side walls and easier to get a tight pitch which makes them even quieter in wind.  It’s 3 pound 14 ounces.  If you really want to go “crazy”, you could even step up to the UL4, but I think that you’d be more then fine in the UL3 since it’s nearly all usable space.

Nick B
    BPL Member

@bur

Locale: Kalifornia

I like a floorless shelter when my dogs are with me.  I’ve had 2 adults, a 5 year old, and two 60# dogs in my Golite Hex 3 (26.9 oz). It was certainly cozy but workable. I would say something like a MLD Super mid would be perfect, assuming you hike in places that can accomodate a 9×9 footprint.

A silnylon Supermid with inner should weigh in somewhere around 54 ounces. If you don’t need bug protection, you’re down to 26 ounces. Add 4.4 ounces if you want the dedicated pole for the awesome 70 inch peak height.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools