Topic

LOOKING FOR A HIKING PAL IN NORTH CAROLINA

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips LOOKING FOR A HIKING PAL IN NORTH CAROLINA

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Jerry C
    Spectator

@jcram

I am 76 years old and have been backpacking for over 60 years… For the last 20 years or so I have been mainly exploring areas in the Pisgah watersheds…Harper Creek, Upper Creek, Steels Creek, Lost Cove, Gragg Prong, etc… Over the years I have hiked all of trails in The Great Smoky Mountain National Park, many miles on the MST and AT, hundreds of miles in the Pisgah, Cherokee and Nantahala National Forests as well as several trips to The Cohutta Wilderness, Slick Rock, etc… All of that being said, I prefer exploring little used or abandoned trails… My current habit is to hike in 5 or 6 miles, create a campsite, stay 2 or 3 nights, cook great meals, have a Scotch or two and either trout fish or explore old trails during the days…My wife and I are now living in Raleigh and I am anxious to find a pal or two to hike with…preferably old guys who are retired like me and in reasonably good shape, but perfectly comfortable with younger folks (40 to 60) like my kids. Not necessary that you are an experienced backpacker, I’ll be pleased to teach you everything I know about the woods. If you’re interested let me hear from you. Jerry P. Cram, Sr.  [email protected]

Dalton Cooper
    BPL Member

@dcooper

Locale: Carolinas

Hi! I’d definitely love to meet hikers and am super-down to get back on the trail now that the weather is getting warmer (generally draw the line when temps drop below 30 at night). I’m an Upstate NY transplant living in Charlotte these days and would love to learn as much as I can about backpacking, hiking NC, etc. from pretty much anyone. At 23, I think my mileage targets may be a bit off of yours, but I’ve been wanting to learn to fish and become a backcountry cook for a bit

Jerry C
    Spectator

@jcram

Well…I must say with a modicum of modesty…camp cooking is my specialty…Over the years I have become the designated “chef” on every trip I take with my existing backpacking buddies. One of my “go to” dishes is my version of 4 way chili… In the woods I start by sauteing chopped onions and garlic in butter, while the meat, beans and other ingredients rehydrate …then put everything together with one envelope of chili seasoning…when everything is ready pour the chili over a bed of spaghetti and top with sharp cheddar cheese and chopped raw onions. Tastes pretty damn good on a cold night…Some of my other dishes include Chicken Cashew Coconut Curry over Basmati rice…Smoked Sausage with homemade mac and cheese, etc…Anyhow, if learning to cook good stuff in the woods is your goal let me know and maybe we can work out a trip… Jerry Cram Raleigh, NC

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools