Topic

Looking for a good source of Freeze Dried Meats

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition Looking for a good source of Freeze Dried Meats

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Phong D
    BPL Member

@poledancer

Looking for good quality, minimally processed and good prices.

Any ideas?

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

Honeyville Farms (probably out of stock)

Packit Gourmet

Ben H.
    BPL Member

@bzhayes

Locale: No. Alabama

There used to be a place on Facebook called Redwicks that was great. Unfortunately they don’t seem to be in business anymore :( Great prices and lots of unusual items (like jumbo shrimp). Last time I ordered freeze dried chicken from  Packit Gourmet and got FD chicken powder.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

Buy in metal cans, versus pouches and plastic containers.

Your best bets are Aguson Farms (via Amazon), NutriStore (Amazon) (which is owned by Thrive Life btw) and yes, Thrive Life (used to be known as Shelf Reliance). Thrive sells in “pantry” sized cans that are far easier to use up than the #10 cans most meat comes in. They are the only one to use that can size. (Yes, I am a Thrive Life consultant as my disclaimer, but for me I actually use the products in my recipe development).

If you buy FD meat in mylar bags it is most likely repacked into them. This is OK if you are using it up quickly, but every time you crack a can, the time is ticking if you live in a humid area.

So buy oxygen absorbers or desiccant packets to use in your meals and seal them tightly if you are putting freeze-dried into the meals.

And as well, read the ingredient lists. Some companies add ingredients to stretch meat. In ground beef this is normal (absorbs the fat) but avoid TVP as a filler, it can cause….issues you don’t want in your stomach.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

PS: Prices are in general really bad right now for meat. You will def feel the wallet pinching this year.

Phong D
    BPL Member

@poledancer

Thanks folks.  I bought from thrive. Before and was happy.  I’ll look at the other options .

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools