Topic

Long Term MLD Bug Bivy II or EE Recon Review?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Long Term MLD Bug Bivy II or EE Recon Review?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Steven Hall
    BPL Member

@lundquistas

Wondering if anyone has any long term reviews of either of these? Love the idea of a simple bug shelter like these for 3 seasons paired with a tarp but not sure if I would get sick of it fast…thanks!

HkNewman
    BPL Member

@hknewman

Locale: The West is (still) the Best

I used Tims first version of the Recon all last summer on the PCT if that counts. It was a great bivy type shelter, spacious for the category, with just the right blends of solid protection vs netting. Once a night out of Etna, our camp was on a very cold, windy, and exposed hilltop, but I draped my jacket under the mesh solving the problem. Someone could sew on an additional 7d nylon “window” I guess, .. but that complicates the basic design.

The only “wish” was taken care of with the second version having an additional loop. Take care not to zip the net into zipper mechanism at night when using it in “loose bivy” mode.

moggie
    BPL Member

@moggie

I’ve used the Recon on a few trips, most recently a 7-day trip in the Sierra, and I can’t think of anything to complain about. The first two nights I set up a tarp over it, but after that I didn’t bother. There was no threat of rain.

Nighttime temperatures dipped to near freezing, and there was no wind to speak of; so I did experience some condensation on the bivy, mostly on the mesh portion, and on the top fabric of my quilt, both with and without the tarp. I wiped it with a towel in the morning and the bivy was dry within minutes.

I do put a Gossamer Gear Thinlight pad under the bivy, just to protect it from poky things on the ground, and from abrasive surfaces. This also helps keep it from sliding around so much, since the fabric is pretty slippery.

For me, there’s more room to store gear inside the bivy with me than I could ever use, but I’m a small person. The only thing I wished for was some sort of hoop to keep the mesh off my face. There is a shock cord, which I could have used in conjunction with a staked-out trekking pole and guyline, though. (Most of my campsites had few trees so no overhead branches were available.)

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools