Topic

Long sleeved fishing shirt or short sleeved wicking t shirt with sun sleeves?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Scouting Philmont Long sleeved fishing shirt or short sleeved wicking t shirt with sun sleeves?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    AT Grimaldi
    Spectator

@atgrimaldi

Locale: East Bay

So I am getting ready for my first trek to PSR.  I have been watching alot of endurance athletes in desert and alpine environments to get an idea of how they strip weight, stay hydrated, stay fueled and regulate body heat.

So, I see a lot of people hiking wearing a tech t-shirt with sun sleeves to protect from the sun and give warmth during the morning.  They are easy to take off, without taking off your shirt.

I also have a dozen or so fishing-style synthetic shirts with roll up sleeves.  I know they will cover me from the sun, but, man, can they get hot sometimes.

I am wondering if having the ability to put on, take off the sleeves easily might make sense.

Anyone have any feedback?

PSR Trek July 5 to 17, 2018

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

Some hikers do that, like cyclists do, but I only wear loose fitting nylon, long sleeve, button down shirts.

TAG in AZ
    BPL Member

@tagiam

Locale: PHX

I use sleeves when I’m hiking here in Arizona. They are great for mornings that start cool, but quickly warm up. I start with the sleeves on, then push them down as I warm up – eventually taking them off.
    I considered taking a set with me to PSR, but decided against it. I’m glad I did. Other than the day we summited Baldy, I don’t think I would have used them. Most mornings were not that cold and I quickly warmed up.
    I did take a long sleeve, button front shirt which I quite enjoyed. I used it as sun protection when we weren’t moving and it was my 1st layer on when it the sun went down. I liked the light weight and the flexibility (buttoned or not) that I had with the shirt.

Jeffrey Peters
    BPL Member

@petey091

I used Long sleeved tech t-shirts. Our trek was in the South at the end of July and we had many cool mornings. I would start the day with the sleeves down and end with them pushed up.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools