Topic

Long Sleeve Tee – Gold Standard

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Long Sleeve Tee – Gold Standard

Viewing 3 posts - 26 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    Dunstan Orchard
    BPL Member

@dunstan

FWIW I just got back from a week in the Sierras wearing a (glacial) Mountain Hardwear Crater Lake Hoody and I found it to be excellent. Extremely soft, kept me much cooler than I thought I’d be, no sunburn at all, had a great hood that never came off and offered better coverage than any other hoody I’ve tried, and the thumb loops worked well, too. It would probably feel heavier when wet than many of the more transparent looking tops I see mentioned here. Oh, and it did great in the wind, too. Even at the top of Glen Pass, with the wind blowing hard, I didn’t need to add another layer on.

I’ve previously always worn a button/collar shirt for trips, but I’m sold on these kinds of hoodies. Worked especially well with my Sunday Afternoons Ultra Adventure Hat.

I’m looking forward to trying a couple other variations of this kind of thing. We passed along a section of the JMT and probably every other guy was wearing something similar (almost always in gray). A lot of the women, too.

Not that I needed it, but the addition of a half-zip/snaps would be interesting, for really cooling off. I have my eye on the Black Diamond Apenglow Pro Hoody (which I chatted with one hiker about), and also this Skylight Gear one https://ramujica.wordpress.com/2021/08/31/gear-review-the-skylight-gear-sun-hoody-189-g-6-67-oz/

Anyway, just generally delighted by how the MH top worked out.

Joe S
    BPL Member

@joephish-2

Locale: SF Bay Area

I have been looking for a new shirt after returning my Patagonia Tropic Comfort hoody. I tried the REI Sahara Shade, Mountain Hardware Crater Lake, and the Kuhl Engineered hoody. The Kuhl is neat with the ventilated fabric, but I didn’t like the way it felt against my skin. I ended up keeping the Crater Lake. The fabric feels nice against my skin.

DWR D
    BPL Member

@dwr-2

For summer weather, I go to Target and buy a long sleeve cotton sports shirt. I wash it Rite Sun Guard which brings it up to SPF 30. Add a Sunday Afternoons broad brim hat and I am set… that with long pants and generally, I don’t use a drop of sunscreen. Of course, if it’s a cold day I have a base layer and a thin fleece top.

Viewing 3 posts - 26 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools