Topic

Long or regular length bag for winter use?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Winter Hiking Long or regular length bag for winter use?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Joe Meek
    BPL Member

@84flh

I’m 5’10” and looking for a good winter bag from WM or FF.

Is it advisable to get a 6’6″ bag so I can put water bottles, the next day’s clothes, boot liners, etc in the extra space?

Or would a 6′ WM or FF bag fit the water bottles and, say, next day’s mid-layer pants and top, without compressing the down and compromising insulative ability?

Thanks, all

Kevin M
    BPL Member

@scottish_kev

I’d stick with standard height.

Especially for a winter bag, you want to minimise extra air/space inside the bag, it’s just more for your body to heat up (same reason mummy bags exist rather than rectangles, take away extra unused space).  You’ll still have room to fit a water bottle and a few things in if needed.

Additionally, I’d also be conscious of the extra length of the bag maybe sticking down at the bottom and touching cold ground or tent walls, creating issues. Unless people are tall and need the extra length, standard is usually best.

Bonzo
    BPL Member

@bon-zo

Locale: Virgo Supercluster

I’m 5’10” and the regular lengths are the correct size for me.  I use an F/F Ibis EX for lots of winter trips and it’s an ideal size; just enough room to squirm around and get cozy, and still plenty of circumference and length for extra layers, water, fuel, etc.  For what it’s worth, I asked this exact question to F/F directly, and they warned me against a long bag both for sizing reasons, as well as everything Kevin mentioned.

Joe Meek
    BPL Member

@84flh

Kevin;

Thanks for the reply.  At 5’10” I only have (in theory) 2″ at the foot of the bag.  Just doesn’t seem enough for 2 Nalgene’s and next days pants/top.

Then again, as you noted, 6’6″ is a long bag.  But….it’s just as long as my XTherm Long/Wide pad.

I guess a 50 mile round trip to my “local” REI is in order.

Thanks again for your post.  Appreciate the insight and experience.

Joe Meek
    BPL Member

@84flh

Bonzo;

FF Ibis EX 0 (zero) and Eider EX -10 are on my list.  Do you know your shoulder girth?  If not, what size shirt to you wear?  That info will help me gauge how the Ibis would fit me.

WM also recommended a 6′ bag.  Said I could fit water bottle(s) at the bag foot.  With only 2″ to spare, I don’t see how that’s possible but I guess it could be.

Thanks again.

Bonzo
    BPL Member

@bon-zo

Do you know your shoulder girth? If not, what size shirt to you wear?

Not offhand, but I’m between L and XL in the shoulders.  Usually I wear LT, because those are cut just a tiny bit larger than the standard L.

WM also recommended a 6′ bag. Said I could fit water bottle(s) at the bag foot. With only 2″ to spare, I don’t see how that’s possible but I guess it could be.

They’re correct; a couple of bottles will fit in the footbox, because it’s built to account for that.  A 6′-0″ bag is not necessarily 6′-0″ inside: it’s just built for a person that’s essentially that size…and since the bag is a flexible construct, that measurement is only an approximation of the actual length, anyway.  It’ll move and flow and bunch up and stretch out a tiny bit, no matter what you do.  In my Ibis, I’m very cozy and have plenty of room for a pillow, extra layers, and two liters in the footbox, ideally wrapped in something soft.

Said another way: I’d trust them.  They build the bags and they’re both very good companies; they know more about this than we ever will. 😉

Joe Meek
    BPL Member

@84flh

Ok Bonzo.  I wear mostly L but some XL fits, albeit a bit looser.  All my T-shirts are XL because I like room to maneuver without feeling bound by the material.

Interesting about bag length built to accommodate water bottles, etc.  I think you may’ve convinced me to go 6′.

I’ll just have to buy a FF Ibis 0 or Eider -10 and try ’em on.  Both in 64 width.

Any idea what the total l0ft measures in your Ibis?

Bonzo
    BPL Member

@bon-zo

I looked up the actual email that F/F sent me when I asked your exact question to them.  Their reply was:

“The regular would be the perfect length for you! It will leave you plenty of room to store stuff at the foot, while not compressing the down in the bag.”

I don’t think it gets any more definitive than that.  As far as 0° versus -10° versus whatever-else° is concerned: it’s a minimal difference and incredibly hard to predict whether or not you’ll actually feel it.  Some nights you sleep warmer or cooler, and people do that in relation to each other, regardless.  Comfort is a complex equation, as a result.  I went with a 0° because it was right in the middle of my expected conditions; I can always add layers or unzip as needed.  So…maybe go lighter on the bag/quit and layer it up.  Easy solution.

Joe Meek
    BPL Member

@84flh

Thanks Bonzo.  Great stuff there.  Another bag mfgr wasn’t nearly as informative when I asked about bag length.

Bonzo
    BPL Member

@bon-zo

You’re welcome.  Hope it helps… hopefully others will throw in some info as well. 👍

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools