Topic

Lone Pine to Bishop/South Lake: Ride needed

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Lone Pine to Bishop/South Lake: Ride needed

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Nick Otis
    BPL Member

@notis

Locale: CA

Looking for a ride for two from Lone Pine to Bishop/South Lake on Saturday (morning), September 1st.

Will be starting the SoSHR. Will pay for gas!

Art …
    BPL Member

@asandh

check out the ” Eastern Sierra Transit ” web site.

http://www.estransit.com

M-F there are bus trips from Lone Pine (McDonalds) to Bishop (Vons), leaving Lone Pine at 6:30am, 8:30am, 11:45am, 5:00pm. no Saturday bus.

also they run a Bishop Creek shuttle (Vons to South Lake) twice a day, leaving Vons at 8:00am and 4:00pm.

so if you can travel on Friday you could be up at South Lake on Friday evening, sleep in the bushes somewhere then start on Saturday. or there are a couple campgrounds not far from South Lake trailhead.

these 2 buses would cost you a combined $12 each.

Nick Otis
    BPL Member

@notis

Thanks, Art. Unfortunately the earliest we’ll be able to leave is Friday after work, which is why I have to ask for a Saturday ride :( I wish the ESTransit ran on the weekends.

Cameron M
    BPL Member

@cameronm-aka-backstroke

Locale: Los Angeles
    Nick Otis
    BPL Member

@notis

Thanks Cameron! I actually used your resource; just seeing if someone here will already be heading that way so we can save a chunk of change :)

Art …
    BPL Member

@asandh

here is one possible way to save $$$.

drive your car to Bishop Friday night, sleep somewhere cheap (there are camp sites near town. On Saturday morning park your car somewhere in town and take the Bishop Creek shuttle up to South Lake. complete your trip on a week day so you can then take the M-F ES transit from Lone Pine up to Bishop to retrieve your car.

Nick Otis
    BPL Member

@notis

Ya’ll are the best trying to help my bank account! Unfortunately, we’re constrained by PTO, so we need to use both weekends (i.e., we probably can’t utilize the ES Transit at all).

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools