Topic

Lone Peak…

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Lone Peak…

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Rick Reno
    BPL Member

@scubahhh

Locale: White Mountains, mostly.

Last year’s 5s discounted by 20% or so, out the new (& improved?) 7s?

Thanks and have fun!

HkNewman
    BPL Member

@hknewman

Locale: The West is (still) the Best

The LP 7’s have an updated MaxClaw outsole, a TPU heel counter added, etc .. but are slightly heavier.

Might go with it for a desert trail hiking shoe in the lighter color (“taupe”), though sandals are my forest footwear.

Here’s a general comparison of the LP 6 vs 7 for hiking, running, and everyday.

https://www.tripsavvy.com/altra-lone-peak-7-running-shoes-review-6889407

Also mentions putting 1000 miles on the 1 pair of LP6.  Wonder what kind of voodoo is being used to extend that shoe life?

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

Extending shoe life…there was a thread in the past with a couple of recommendations…maybe using gear aid shoe repair on some outer seams, etc.

HkNewman
    BPL Member

@hknewman

Locale: The West is (still) the Best

Extending shoe life…there was a thread in the past with a couple of recommendations…maybe using gear aid shoe repair on some outer seams, etc.

It comes from putting a little of it on lightweight hiking boots mostly to lengthen the seams lifespan.   I’ve done it in most of my footwear but switching to trail runners, those uppers get shredded faster.
    It’s the mostly midsole that really causes them to start hurting though, and, besides mileage, that’s going to be a function of total packweight, body weight, and gait, as well as construction.

Some “less wealthy” PCT hikers report grabbing some pretty used Lone Pines out of a hiker box near the end of season (where it’s more likely a trash box), and putting a few hundred more miles on a pair SOBO in the desert (where tread isn’t going to matter as much).

In an Outside or Backpacker article (now the same company), one thru hiker was named after his idea of carrying shoe goo to constantly mend rips in his trail runner uppers

Starting one long segment, I had a big rip in my Altra King Mts (now discontinued) uppers that I sewed a patch on, then glued a second patch over it.  Now I think I’d glue a bigger patch even if tenacious tape, .. then sew though it all.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools