Topic

Lone Peak 3.0 trail shoes?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Lone Peak 3.0 trail shoes?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Yoyo
    Spectator

@dgposton

Locale: NYC metro

Does anyone have experience with the Lone Peak 3.0’s?  I’m new to zero drop shoes.  I’ve been wearing Cascadias over the years, but the latest iterations are progressively narrower in the footbox (not good).  I tried on a pair of the Lone Peak 3.0’s yesterday at REI and they felt much more comfortable than the earlier versions.  I’m wondering if anyone else has comments on these?

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

You are interested in the 3.0 and not the newer 3.5 ? Here is Andrew Skurka’s review of the 3.0 from last November Review: Altra Lone Peak 3.0 || For wide large-volume feet or easy trails .

Pedestrian
    BPL Member

@pedestrian

The Lone Peak 1.0 and 2.0 fit me well and I liked them a lot, especially the wide toe box; however, they both wore out pretty fast.
    The LP 3.0 are significantly narrower in the toe box and my toes felt scrunched; it felt like both the width and the height of the toe box had been reduced. So I moved on from Altra Lone Peaks.
    I also had a similar experience with the Cascadias – loved them until the 7. The 10s, 11s etc just fit very different and my feet were not happy.

The search for well fitting shoes is always ongoing it seems.

Yoyo
    Spectator

@dgposton

Now that I think about it, I’m not sure if I tried on the 3.0’s or 3.5’s at REI.  How long have the 3.5’s been out?  Whatever they were, the fit was near perfect for me.  When I tried on earlier iterations of the Lone Peaks they felt sloppy.  I have low volume, but wide feet (but not terribly wide) with a narrow heel.

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

Here is Andrew’s look at the Lone Peak 3.5’s Preview: Altra Lone Peak 3.5, Timp & King Mountain this is from January 2017

lee kingry
    BPL Member

@leek2

Locale: Alabama and GSMNP North Carolina

Hi David I love my loan Peaks 3.0 mine are the mid I took them​ on around 350 mile hike in the High Sierra and the John Muir Trail and they were awesome first time I had no heel pain Arch pain toe pain toe bump or blisters and they were brand new out-of-the-box the day before the trip I knew it was the shoe I was interested in but I needed to size up half a size and Ultra actually sent it to the house at their expense even at the sale price from the local store that didn’t have the correct size so great service they were so great on the trip when I got back I ordered a second pair just to have a backup in case they quit making it I had I had several thousand miles on Merlle moab’s and Solomon variations and they all did okay but they were little heel pain little blister here little toe bump or black toe there which I pretty much calked up to just being normal hiking and kicking roots and my body but after the Ultras I think I found the perfect match

Yoyo
    Spectator

@dgposton

Well, I’ve just ordered a pair of the 3.0’s from REI to try out.  Is there anything else I should be considering that has a wide toebox in case the zero drop doesn’t do it for me?

lee kingry
    BPL Member

@leek2

Locale: Alabama and GSMNP North Carolina

Just a reminder start with low mileage and work up with 0 drop shoes

John Rowan
    BPL Member

@jrowan

I think the 3.5’s are either just released or are imminently about to be released. (I’ve seen them on REI’s site and I think somewhere else.) A fair number of prominent folks got to review them earlier in the year and the opinions seem favorable.

I was a huge fan of my LP 2.0s, with the exception of the durability. Recent versions, to Altra’s credit, seem to be trying to address the common issues (like the fact that a tear in the mesh used to be able to kill the whole shoe), but I’m in that group that’s started to find that they don’t fit as well as they used to.

Also for me, the change in the way the toe is designed (upward curve) has really started to not play nice with the orthotics I need to use (thrashed toes courtesy of some form of hallux limitus), so it’s put me back in the market. The 2.5s were the worst offenders here- it seems like they backed that off for the 3.0. Not sure on the 3.5s…I’m curious to see how they’re designed.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools