Topic

Loksaks and Opsaks

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Loksaks and Opsaks

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    AK Granola
    BPL Member

@granolagirlak

I have inherited a pile of opsaks and loksaks. They appear to be identical, although some say “Op” for the odor proof ones. I guess the opsaks feel just a tiny bit rougher so maybe thicker. Is there actually a real difference, or is that marketing? Although not really needed in a bear canister, which I usually carry, I’m thinking it might be advantageous to put some of my more heavily spiced meals in those, so that the oatmeal doesn’t taste like curry, or everything doesn’t taste like coffee. Any experience on using these bags?

Jeff Y
    Spectator

@ogilybogil

I use my opsak to carry out my used TP and also inside my rodent bag (ursak) to keep smells down. They work well, and are very durable. They seem to be semi-disposable, maybe last 20-40 days before needing to be replaced. Just a super ziploc bag really!

Bonzo
    BPL Member

@bon-zo

Locale: Virgo Supercluster

I’ve used both.  I’d give either one about two weeks of daily usage before they start to fatigue and compromise; until that time, they’re pretty good…but what’s wrong with curry-flavored oatmeal? 🤔

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

The biggest issue I’ve had with opsaks is that they rip at the closure seal, making them exceptionally difficult to use. You get a good number of uses out of them first, but it’s frustrating when they start to tear there.

Tom K
    BPL Member

@tom-kirchneraol-com-2

“The biggest issue I’ve had with opsaks is that they rip at the closure seal, making them exceptionally difficult to use.”

One of several good reasons to use Nylofume bags.

Jeff Y
    Spectator

@ogilybogil

Are nylofume bags odor proof?

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

When sealed properly, they are supposed to be. Nylofume bags are what they put your food and such in before they fumigate your house, IIRC.

They wouldn’t work well for what Karen’s trying to do though, as they’re pretty big. I use a nylofume bag as a bear canister liner, or an ursak liner. You wouldn’t use them to, say, just store a small bag of coffee in.

SIMULACRA
    BPL Member

@simulacra

Locale: Puget Sound

I believe the main difference, aside from the odor proof stamp, is that the Loksac is rated to be waterproof at a greater rate than the Opsac.

The zippers and closures always eventually rip and tear away. I’ve had some last an entire season and once had a failure the first day using it. Completely blew out. After going through so many of them, I’ve found that the smaller bags were the ones that have a high failure rate and the larger 12″x20″ bags have the great success rate. I always double bag them and use the same bag for the inner and outer. Works well. Have used Nylofume with a Bearikade Scout to fill the dimensions better. Cut it down to a proper size. Enough to still be able to twist the end tight and fold over a couple times before securing with elastic cord. No food smells in the canister. At times, I have used the double bagging Opsack method with just a large DCF dry bag and a lot of black bear presence. Hung alpine/pct method. My own variation. No issues. Now where’s that wood to knock?

Jeffs Eleven
    BPL Member

@woodenwizard

Locale: NePo

Karen, it seems to me to be marketing. Same company makes both if I remember correctly. Bullet point on loksak is that it’s odor proof. …so I could only figure it was marketing.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools