Topic

Locus Gear

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Commerce Gear Deals Locus Gear

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Don Burton
    Spectator

@surfcam310

Locale: City of Angels

Not an actual Locus Gear deal but the Yen has been dropping. I’ve been looking at the Khufu and earlier this year 52,000 yen was approximately $500 usd. About 6 weeks ago is was around $475. Currently, it’s approximately worth $450 usd. Maybe time to pull the trigger.

John Mc
    BPL Member

@retiredjohn

Locale: PNW

I hear you!  That’s a great looking tent.  I’ve been thinking of pulling the trigger and getting one.

rmeurant
    BPL Member

@rmeurant

Locale: Laniakea

The Khufu is a work of art. Especially in the black cuben.

Goes great with a 2/3 mesh inner – provides very useful porch area, yet ample space for 1.

Strongly recommend the (carbon) DPTE – frees up the inner space considerably.

Katherine .
    BPL Member

@katherine

Locale: pdx

Do it, do it!

If I weren’t underemployed at the moment, I’d be getting the 2/3rds inner to upgrade from my 1/2. You should follow his^^ advice an go with the 2/3rds from the get-go.

Robert, with the 2/3r’s is the inner all still under the drip line? Looks like it is, because the extra bit on the beak extends beyond an exact 1/2.

rmeurant
    BPL Member

@rmeurant

Yes, the inner fits within the drip line, but I would never leave my tarp unattended with the flaps opened, always zip it up. The rear of the 2/3 inner is about where the rear of a full inner would be, so it is the front that  has the extra space.

I should make clear that the mesh/cuben inner in my photos is not from Locus Gear, but from a third party that I picked up used on BPL, though I do have a fabric inner 2/3 made by Locus Gear that I very seldom use.

peter t
    BPL Member

@petersonallen

Curious – would you choose the Khufu CTF3-B (bonded) cuben version or the ‘regular’ CTF3 version(I assume sewn)?

Don Burton
    Spectator

@surfcam310

I had a seen Hapi that I was happy with but ended up selling it. I imagined using it with 2 people more often so the opening on the short side was the benefit. I just pulled the trigger on a white, sewn Khufu.

I usually use a myog bathtub groundsheet with tarps so if I decide I want more coverage I’ll make a 2/3 inner.

rmeurant
    BPL Member

@rmeurant

Personally, I don’t know enough about the bonded version to make an intelligent decision – but I have had my aging sewn cuben Khufu in very heavy continuous monsoon rain, and it has never leaked. I’ve never bothered sealing the seams.

But the bonding ought to be superior.

Don Burton
    Spectator

@surfcam310

Yeah, I’m quite confident in their sewn performance. I also figure I could bond it myself in the future if I ever wanted to. Fairly simple especially since it’s already sewn.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools