Topic

Locus Gear Pneuma vs Rab Alpine Bivy comparison?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Locus Gear Pneuma vs Rab Alpine Bivy comparison?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Christoph Blank
    BPL Member

@chbla

Locale: Austria

Hi there,

I’m wondering if anyone compared the Rab Alpine Bivy vs the Locus Gear Pneuma Bivy.

The Pneuma has an optional window, loops and also has an Event floor.

The Alpine Bivy has a better zipper protection, allowing it to be opened completely while still being covered. It’s easily available in Europe but has no loop at the top – does anyone know how I could add one easily?

What’s your opinion about the differences?

Christoph Blank
    BPL Member

@chbla

Anyone got an opinion? How could I glue a loop on top of the Rab bivy?

Mole J
    BPL Member

@mole

Locale: UK

You could use a Zpacks stick on loop? Or Treadlite Gear in the UK also sell something similar.

I owned a Rab Alpine for a few months. Sold it on.  Sub optimal entry design.

I’ve owned about 8 different WPB bivis since the 90s  And used even more.

I personally very much dislike the type of entrance on both these bivis.   The perimeter zip means that unless it is mostly closed, the top end of the floor is free and any movement, it easily gets dislodged and you end up with your head in the dirt/snow.

For me, a bivi with a hood is much better in real world use. Whether simple drawstring or with chest (and side) zip. The latter means space for storage of small items/clothing at night too .

Christoph Blank
    BPL Member

@chbla

Thanks for the answer! What are you using now?

Mole J
    BPL Member

@mole

Locale: UK

I have 3 MVP bivis at present.

My bivi usage is probably different from yours. In mountains I/we use mostly Tarptent models or a Trailstar. I dont often do  true snowy 4 season camping.

I bivi for ease of pitch finding and/or stealth on countryside and beaches. Overnighters or multiday trails.

The lightest is an Alpkit Hunka XL. I rarely use it as it is the least breathable and least tough.

For hills, I now use a Rab Ridge Raider – heavy as a tent!  But reliable. Did 7 nights straight in August on a local 100 mile long distance path,  first 2 rained all night. All good.

For general bivvying I use an old UK army goretex – tough but roomy.

Previously I had a Rab Sierra (AKA Integral Designs Bugaboo)  but swapped it with another guy for the Ridge Raider. That was great too.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools