Topic

Locus Gear CP3 poles still rattle?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Locus Gear CP3 poles still rattle?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Stumphges
    BPL Member

@stumphges

I’ve been using a pair of Fizan poles from Massdrop, or I should say using them mostly for shelter support and more often recently for walking. I’ve found them to rattle horribly and thought to replace them with Locus Gear CP3s.

Then I saw threads talking about CP3s notoriously rattling, along with various ways to fix this.

Do the poles sold today rattle like the older generations?

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

Mine never rattled.

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

My 2013 models don’t (and have never) rattle.

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

Mine never rattled

Stumphges
    BPL Member

@stumphges

Thank you! The myth of the Locus Gear rattle.

Dan, you pointed out some OEM poles that were substantially similar to the CP3s in a previous thread. Do you have a budget favorite or suggestion (that don’t rattle:) at this point? (BTW, taking the X-Mid 2p out for the first time this wknd.)

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Yeah Locus Gear doesn’t make these poles but rather buys them from a supplier who sells them under other labels as well. I’m not up to speed on all of that, but these exact poles have been sold for about half the price under the MBC brand. Navigating that is a bit tricky because the MBC versions come in more versions (3 vs 4 piece, thicker vs thinner shafts, aluminum vs carbon, different handles etc).

Most notably, they seem to make carbon tubing in 12/14/16/18mm diameters, where there 4 piece poles use all four sizes and the 3 piece ones can be the smaller 3 sizes or the larger 3 (heavier). The 3 piece locus gear poles use the thinner 3 diameters (12/14/16).

These are the heavier ones for $30/pole instead of $65:

I’d have to look around more to find the exact same ones.

Stumphges
    BPL Member

@stumphges

Hi Dan, Many thanks. I’ve not been able to find any with the 12/14/16 sections. I also realized that even if I did I wouldn’t know if they would rattle:)

Matthew S
    BPL Member

@battlerattle

Mine rattled a BIT, but then they pretty quickly didn’t. Best poles I have even used.

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

The MBC ones used to be easier to find than they are now. Probably they are continually rebranding them as the factory sells poles to a wide range of customers with different logos/names etc.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools