Topic

Loaning an InReach

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Loaning an InReach

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

Does anyone know anything about loaning an InReach to a friend? I’ve been googling around and haven’t found anything. Are there any issues about giving it to someone else if they call SAR? I’m concerned about liability/legal stuff.

Jeremy and Angela
    BPL Member

@requiem

Locale: Northern California

I can’t think of any good reason you would be on the hook for anything, but I would change the emergency contacts.  Having your contacts get a phone call if something goes wrong is only likely to confuse matters.

Better yet, add a new user for your friend and assign the device to them; that way you can put in their own details, including their emergency contacts.  The online help describes it as “Users lets you add several people to your account for using or sharing inReach devices. An inReach must always have an assigned user to function properly.”

-J

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

I didn’t know you could add users. That’s very helpful. Thanks, J!

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

For the years that I had a SPOT, I’d routinely loan it to friends for their trips.  If I was going to be around town (my cell in on my profile), sometimes I wouldn’t change my profile.  Other times, I’d add a line to my profile like,

“August 1 to August 15, John Smith will have this unit on the Yukon and Koyukuk Rivers on a moose hunt. Olive-drab 24-foot Sea-Ark with two 50-hp Merc outboards.  Four souls = two 50-year-old and two 25-year-old men on board.”

So if someone hit the panic button, rescuers would know who/what to look for.

And I’d change the call list for the “911” and “help” buttons.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools