Topic

Lizards may protect people from Lyme disease in parts of U.S.

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire On the Web Lizards may protect people from Lyme disease in parts of U.S.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Rex Sanders
    BPL Member

@rex

Helps explain why some regions have the same ticks, but much less Lyme. Climate makes a difference, too. Interesting, especially as climate changes.

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2021/02/lizards-may-be-protecting-people-lyme-disease-southeastern-united-states

On your next backpacking trip, make friends with the local lizards! Or at least thank them.

— Rex

MJ H
    BPL Member

@mjh

I think possums eat ticks too. Maybe not often enough.

Ethan A.
    BPL Member

@mountainwalker

Locale: SF Bay Area & New England

I was relieved to read this doesn’t involve rubbing lizards all over yourself. Relieved for them especially, as I’m a fan of our saurian brothers and sisters.

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

Only if you buy Gieco insurance?

Paul Wagner
    BPL Member

@balzaccom

Locale: Wine Country

Skinks are your friends.  It’s official

Dean F.
    BPL Member

@acrosome

Locale: Back in the Front Range

If lizards are protective, how do you dose them?

Dave @ Oware
    BPL Member

@bivysack-com

Locale: East Washington

They’ve know that around Point Reyes, CA since the late 80’s. The southern part of the area has very little lyme and lots of lizards and the northern part the opposite. The lizards are a filter because their blood doesn’t make a good home for lyme spirochetes. We met researchers from a UC school, Davis I think, at the lighthouse collecting lizards and studying deer.

Must have been before the internet if these folks haven’t heard of it.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools