Topic

Little Sandy Trailhead Wind River Range Wyoming

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Little Sandy Trailhead Wind River Range Wyoming

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Arthur
    BPL Member

@art-r

Anyone ever driven to the Little Sandy Trailhead in the Wind River Range?  This is seldom listed on trailhead lists but is on the NFS web page.  This is not Sweetwater TH, that is a bit south.  The NFS page says it is 4WD the last 3/4 mile.  I am wondering if this is truly 4WD or if it is even passable.  Link to the NFS page  http://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/btnf/recarea/?recid=71779

Thanks

Art

John Vance
    BPL Member

@servingko

Locale: Intermountain West

It has been years since I went in that way.  It was a bit rough but passable at the time in an Acura Integra, albeit very slowly in places.  The roads really vary from year to year due to differences in maintenance and weather.

Randy Nelson
    BPL Member

@rlnunix

Locale: Rockies

I wouldn’t worry about it. Drive until you don’t feel you can safely go forward or back up if you go any farther. If you make it to the TH, great. If not, park at the closest spot you find and walk a little farther.

When I went to the Sweetwater TH, the description was the last part was for high clearance 4×4/AWD. I went up and got to a somewhat rough spot and was concerned about being able to turn around. (I was in a Subaru Outback which can go  places that may suprise some.) So I went back and walked  a few extra miles. And when I did, I found that the place I stopped at, was the worst spot and I could have easily made it to the TH. Next time, if I get to a spot like that, I’ll walk ahead a bit to check it out and then decide whether to proceed or not.

Arthur
    BPL Member

@art-r

I called the local NFS office and talked to a ranger.  “Do you have off road driving experience?”  Lots “Do you have 4wd high clearance?”  Yes.  “Well, the little pass is called Block and Tackle for a reason.  It is all granite rock with tricky tracks over it.  I would not take my own truck.”  I guess that means he takes the government truck.  Judging from previous ranger advice, it is very conservative, and I understand why.  He has no idea of who is talking to.  Still accepting any other thoughts.

Thanks

Art

Randy Nelson
    BPL Member

@rlnunix

Locale: Rockies

Just curious, why do you want to start/finish there? And is walking a little farther to do so not an option?

Arthur
    BPL Member

@art-r

We usually go to the WRR for a week, so a few extra miles are not a problem. I just tire of the Disney World trails and trailheads so I am always looking for great hikes with few people.  Also, the foothills of the WRR are not a pretty hike at all.  As you know, it goes from high scrub desert to outrageous beauty in a few hundred meters, so it is nice to avoid the less than ideal areas if one only has a week. This summer, we did not meet a human for 6 days in the WRR, so its worth it to do some research to find good spots.

Thanks

Art

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools