Topic

Little Death Hollow / Wolverine Canyon Loop

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Little Death Hollow / Wolverine Canyon Loop

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Daniel P
    BPL Member

@dap387

I’m heading out to Utah in early May with my wife and a friend, and among a bunch of day hikes we have an overnight loop through Little Death Hollow and back through Wolverine Canyon.

Without a side trip to the Escalante River, the mileage is exactly where I’d want it – ~15 miles. With the side trip it’s 20 miles, and my wife generally isn’t fond of going more than 10 miles in a day.

The only reason a side trip to the Escalante river would be necessary is if Horse Canyon, our intended camping spot 8.5 miles in, is dry.

Can someone comment on what the water supply is typically like in Horse Canyon in early May? Thanks so much in advance for your help!

Garrett
    Spectator

@gtturner1988-2-2

My wife and I did this loop as a day hike in September. They had a very small amount of water that was extremely shallow. It wasn’t exactly something I would want to fiddle around with filtering. I would settle on the Escalante river if your doing this as a multi-dayer. I recommend you carry at least 2 gallons if you choose to do this as a day hike just to play it safe.Wolverine can leave you pretty exposed to the sun. I only carried 1.75 gallons, however it was cloudy out.

We both had Deuter’s speedlite 20L day packs on which made getting through the slots much easier than an actual stuffed backpack. Be sure to bring electrolyte tablets.

obx hiker
    BPL Member

@obxer

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

How about just do Coyote Gulch instead? You don’t have to hike to the last potty/campsite. Just go the the huge “Arch Bend” as I call it. Amazing rock formation there. Always plenty of water.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

How about just do Coyote Gulch instead? You don’t have to hike to the last potty/campsite. Just go the the huge “Arch Bend” as I call it. Amazing rock formation there. Always plenty of water.

I have done the full Gulch trip twice and love it. Pictoglyphs and so many beautiful rock formations.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools