Topic

Litesmith QwikBack UL chair vs. Mountainsmith SlingBack chair

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Litesmith QwikBack UL chair vs. Mountainsmith SlingBack chair

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Michael Sirofchuck
    BPL Member

@mr_squishy

Locale: Great Wet North

Discuss.  (all specs below)

QuikBack Specs: 

• Ultralight – just 2.65 oz (75 g)
    • Durable ripstop nylon seat
    • Strong yet light carbon fiber poles
    • Integrated pole storage
    • Folds into a compact, self-contained package
    • Dimensions Packed (LxWxD): 13.25 x 2.75 x 1.5 in. (33.7 x 7 x 3.8 cm)
    • $59.95

<div id=”content” class=”clearfix hproduct”>
    <div id=”product-info” class=”grid_5 omega”>
    <div id=”extended-features” class=”white-box”>
    <div class=”white-box-inner”>
    <dl class=”attribute-list clearfix”>
    <dt class=”first”>Slingback Features:</dt>
    <dd class=”first”>

• Minimalist backcountry lounger
    • Sets up with two telescoping Mountainsmith trekking poles (recommended: Tellurite 7075 OLS)
    • Rolls up into own storage pouch
    • User’s body weight supports the chair
    • Compatible with most telescoping trekking poles with either internal or external adjustment mechanisms (minimum height: 24”-30”)
    • $24.95

</dd>
    <dt>Materials:</dt>
    <dd>

• 610d HP CORDURA®

</dd>
    <dt>Dimensions:</dt>
    <dd>

• 40″ x 14.75″ (L x W)

</dd>
    <dt>Weight:</dt>
    <dd>

• 4.75 oz / 0.13 kg

</dd>
    </dl>
    </div>
    </div>
    </div>
    </div>

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

Here goes…

Love: the weight and the price of both.

Hate: absolutely everything else about them both…sitting on the (wet) ground, no padding, poles poking into your back, chair collapses when you stand up, futzy process to sit down and get it all arranged …

Michael Sirofchuck
    BPL Member

@mr_squishy

I’ve used the Litesmith on a couple trips.  Sitting down and getting initially situated is awkward and continual readjustment is needed.  That said, camping in cactus country where there is nothing non-sticking to lean against, I was glad to have it.  I cut a piece of closed cell foam for a sit pad which makes it a bit more comfortable.  I plan to use it for alpine deer hunting when sitting on hillsides glassing for long periods of time.

Barry P
    BPL Member

@barryp

Locale: Eastern Idaho (moved from Midwest)

I saw this question at hammockforums.net but no one answered. Can this QwikBack be used on a bear canister and then replace the short rods with hiking poles? Also I noticed the thermarest knock-off sit pad for $4 at litesmith’s site. Interesting.

I’ve always used a kneel pad  (1/2oz) for sitting on a log or rock.

Have I ever wished I had a back rest? Yes; in a park. But not usually while backpacking. I’m more of a long-distance hiker and a short-overnight stayer.

May everyone take a hike.

-Barry

Miner
    BPL Member

@miner

Locale: SoCAL

I’m a long distance hiker too, but I still look for rocks,logs, etc to lean my pack against so I have back support while taking a break. I get a higher quality rest when I do since my back muscles get a break ( important right out of town). And as noted by someone else, in more desert environments, it can be hard to find anything to lean against. After seeing a prototype of litesmiths chair back, I was seriously thinking of how I could do something similar with my pack and save some weight.

I bought the zrest sit pad knock off. Works for what it is and I’m not stuck with yellow. Hate bright colors.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

Shout out for the best 18 gram seat I’ve used!

Diane Pinkers
    BPL Member

@dipink

Locale: Western Washington

For the Mountainsmith chair, do you have to have rubber tips for your trekking poles?  Wouldn’t want to have to keep track of those.  I’ve got the Qwikback, but haven’t had a chance to use it.  I do carry a Z-rest pad, and was planning to put that on top of the seating part of the Qwikback. I like the compactness of the Qwikback, hardly know it is in my pack to begin with.

Michael Sirofchuck
    BPL Member

@mr_squishy

Diane, you insert the handles of your poles into pockets in the top of the seat and your pole tips anchor the seat in the ground.  It’s just one piece of fabric as opposed to the Litesmith which is the fabric plus two carbon fiber poles.

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

Michael, I assume your shelter does not use your trekking poles for support?

I would dearly love to get away with a <1 oz sit pad as my chair, but “experienced” knees and back simply do not allow that :)

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools