Topic

Lipstick on a Pig? Wind & Cold Temperature Testing of the Jetboil Stash (StoveBench)

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable Lipstick on a Pig? Wind & Cold Temperature Testing of the Jetboil Stash (StoveBench)

Viewing 5 posts - 76 through 80 (of 80 total)
  • Author
    David D
    BPL Member

@ddf

Hi Jerry, I compared windless, but agree it could be burner setting. Hence my spinal tap reference asking if BPL tested at “11”.

I have a few pots.  I bring the Stash if it means I get to take the smaller fuel cannister.  I did the math and I definitely save weight on long trips.   Stash pot + lid = 5.2oz.  Its 2 oz more than Toaks 700mL, but has other benefits: bigger, made of aluminum so doesn’t burn food as easily, and its nice insurance to have if the weather gets a bit gusty, leaves me more backup fuel.  And it has a much better lid than the Toaks

Edit: and the short handle Toaks need silicone wrap or a bandana to grab the handle.  Stash doesn’t.  No cheating when counting oz!

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

a lid makes the pot easier to stow in my pack
    Agree.
    1/3 fuel efficiency
    1/3 speed of heating AND cooking (esp in snow)
    1/3 safety for contents when packing.

Cheers

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

“I’d like to see the complete 18 boil tests on all pots without the hands talking.”

Thanks a lot.  Now, all I can see is his hands “talking” on every video : )

I just use my evernew 900 ml pot (99 g) plus the lid (36 g).  Kind of heavy, especially when you measure in grams : )  That’s 4.75 ounces total.  I figure if I can’t reduce the weight by an ounce it’s not worth thinking about.  I have tried a DIY aluminum foil lid but I never used it.  Hmmm… might have to reconsider that…

Mart
    BPL Member

@1goodpacker

Locale: Central Texas

I figure if I can’t reduce the weight by an ounce it’s not worth thinking about.

I think Jerry is right. I found “Talking Hands” video very interesting from an engineering point-of-view but most of his conclusions are not all that relevant in a real world scenario.

EXCEPT ONE!

If you can improve fuel efficiency to the point of getting an additional boil (or pasteurization, your choice) from a canister, that is significant. The real weight savings comes from not having to bring an extra canister.

Bill Budney
    BPL Member

@billb

Locale: Central NYS

I love GearSkeptic, and agree that there is much to learn from his deep dives. His chart of water filter performance is priceless. (TLDR: Sawyer really is best.)

However, I also agree that his conclusions do not always include everything that is important.

For example, electrolytes are simpler than his details. (My approach: Everyone should supplement magnesium. Salt to taste. Mountain House may not be so bad if you’ve been sweating, for example. Add some potassium (No Salt or 50-50 blends). Gatorade Zero is cheap and reasonably balanced if you eat salty snacks; I add 3/8 tsp (2g) salt per liter if I don’t plan to eat salty food.)

Regarding pasteurization, be aware that it is NOT as good as sterilization. When dealing with common bacteria in dairy, for example, pasteurization slows growth rates sufficiently to extend refrigerated shelf life. But pasteurization does NOT kill all of the harmful bugs you could find in an unknown water source.

TLDR: Pasteurization might be sufficient for melting fresh snow or water from a good-looking spring, but I would definitely boil lake water. Or use chlorine dioxide tablets.

(Maybe Steripen if you trust invisible things that you cannot test whether or not they have done the job. It should be fine, but I know that chlorine dioxide-treated water is germ-free. Possibly both to reduce the ClO2 waiting time for cryptosporidium spores.)

Viewing 5 posts - 76 through 80 (of 80 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!