Topic

Linelocs and thin cord (solution)

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Linelocs and thin cord (solution)

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Jan Rezac
    BPL Member

@zkoumal

Locale: Prague, CZ

See the next post

Jan Rezac
    BPL Member

@zkoumal

I found a way how to make linelocs work on a thin cord. Actually, it does not apply to the original linelocs, but to the “tensionlock” brand ones (available e.g. from RBTR) – see the photo. That’s even better because there’s also a version with a hook, which would be great for removable guylines.

The notch for the cord on the tensionlocs is narrower, so a thin cord is held in the right place, but it still slips because it lacks the friction. That can be solved by wrapping the line twice around the bar, as pictured here. Then, it held strong with a 1.5 mm dyneema/PES sheath cord (a rather soft one), as well as with a thinner but stiff 1.2 mm line. It did not slip even under repeated loading and unloading, yet it can be adjusted with about the same resistance as a lineloc on a 3mm line. I’ve not tried that outdoors yet, but it locks so well that it can hardly fail.

This trick doesn’t work with the classic lilnelocs, as the notch on their bottom is wider, so the tensioned line does not push on the free end but they can fit side by side.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

Brillant.

Brook / MtGL
    BPL Member

@brookqwr

These are from Woojin.

Another option to use with the thin cord is the one by Nifco.

Dutch sells it.

https://dutchwaregear.com/product/slide-lock/

Due to a sliding bar, the more tension on the cord, the more friction it gets.

I found it’s much better then the “bulky” Lineloc3 from Nexus.

Jan Rezac
    BPL Member

@zkoumal

I know the sliding bar ones, and they work well with this cord. What I like about the tensionlocks is the version with a hook, as it will add more versatility to my tarp guyline system.

Brook / MtGL
    BPL Member

@brookqwr

Sure. I like the versatility too. The hook could be one option.

Just share with you the other way I used with the sliding lock.

Removable tarp line locs.  Enjoy~~~ :-)

William N
    Spectator

@will-n-too

Thanks for these solutions. I really like the superthin 1.7mm Dyneema, but find undoing the knots a time consuming pain, so I’d given up on using  it on my tent lines. It’s perfect for some watertight gaiters I’ve made, except for the 10 minutes of fussing with the knot. And I find most tensioning hardware to be more trouble than useful….so I guess I’ve backed myself into a corner. I just ordered he RBTR, $10 with shipping for a dozen each of the hook and sew on, too cheap not to give it a try.

I’ll first give the hooks a try– my rainfly is already sewn (grosgrain loops), but it also doubles as a poncho, so all those strings hanging off of it can be a bit of a hassle. A bundle of stakes and strings with the hooked/tensioners might be perfect. (of course now the weak point will be the plastic hook. If I were to test it to breaking I might find out the dyneema is overkill. )

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools