Topic

Lightweight sleeping bag

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Lightweight sleeping bag

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    AK Granola
    BPL Member

@granolagirlak

I’m back on the hunt (again) for a lightweight sleeping bag or quilt, for warmer outdoor temperatures. I took my 20F Feathered Friends Egret on my TRT hike this summer and sweltered. Even lying on top of the bag, I roasted. Nighttime temps didn’t ever dip below about 50F (although I can’t be sure because I didn’t have a thermometer, but it was always warm). Occasionally I’d put my feet inside, and that was about it.

I plan to do more summer hiking in the lower 48, and maybe some hut/hostel type trips in Europe, where a warmer weather bag/quilt would be useful. Lightweight of course.

It’s hard to look at bags that cost as much as my FF one. I love that one, but it’s for actual cold weather. Paying big bucks for something that really is just there to keep me comfortable (not save my life) just seems like a waste.

It’s also hard to imagine what I need for 45+ degrees. At home it would be a lightweight sheet, or if it’s raining, maybe also a light blanket. Of course, rainy weather can feel chillier, so I might want to err on the safe side and go for a 30F instead of a 40 or 50 bag. I’m looking at the Mountain EquipmentTransalp Down Sleeping Bag that’s on sale right now at REI, but is it worth it? It’s listed as “tested comfort” at 57. You don’t really need anything at that temperature except some clothing! Just trying to make sense of this. But it might be enough for me, and if it drops down I just toss on my raingear. A quilt is also appealing, but they seem to cost a lot in general.

Or i just lug along my FF 20 bag and not accumulate still more gear. Suggestions anyone?

Dan
    BPL Member

@dan-s

Locale: Colorado

You might want to take a look at some Big Agnes bags. All in all the website is a lot to digest, but if you’re willing to take the time, you might find something interesting because they have some designs that are a bit different than others, including a lot of woman-specific products.

They are pretty well-priced and not too heavy, and my wife swears that hers is the most comfortable bag she’s ever had. Some have expandable panels and some are semi-rectangular. Some of them have a bottom compartment to hold the sleeping pad in place (the pad slides in) and saves weight by omitting fill on the bottom (Big Agnes system).

Just looking at their website now, they have yet another “system” called 3N1, which seems to be something modular with an inner bag and outer bag. Looks a little complicated TBH, but worth a look.

I can’t recommend a specific model because they seem to change from year to year.

baja bob
    BPL Member

@bajabob

Locale: West

Enlightened Equipment Revelation APEX synthetic 50 deg quilt. Unzips flat. 12 oz. $175 for regular size.

Kevin Babione
    BPL Member

@kbabione

Locale: Pennsylvania

I had a similar need last week when I did a Hut-to-Hut-to-Hut trek between AMC “Huts” in the White Mountains.  I’m normally a hammock/quilt user, but I have a Montbell synthetic sleeping bag rated to 50 degrees that was perfect.  They no longer offer the 50-degree version, but their 40-Degree Burrow Bag #5 might fit your need at $139 and 27 ounces.  It’s synthetic (they have down as well) and they offer them in both right and left zip.  I have a pair that mate and it’s really nice if you have a partner who goes on some trips.

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

AntiGravityGear Stratum 55 Top Quilt is $79.99 Temperature Rating: 55ºF / 12.8ºC

Weight: 17.2 oz / 488 g

Quilt Dimensions: 76″ long x 46″ wide (at widest point)

there is only one size so I don’t know if it would work for you

Bill in Roswell
    BPL Member

@roadscrape88-2

Locale: Roswell, GA, USA

Ironically I did the Presidential Range in NH using Huts as Kevin did. I used a Sea to Summit Traveller 50, 750 fill, full zip, no hood, weight 15 oz in Regular, about $200. Love it fully zipped in Fall, or fully unzipped. Versatility for not a lot of cash. Usually in stock, no wait.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools