Topic

Lightweight shelters–which is your favorite? (Z-Packs Duplex vs Duomid vs ???)

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Lightweight shelters–which is your favorite? (Z-Packs Duplex vs Duomid vs ???)

Viewing 11 posts - 26 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Author
    Hoosier T
    BPL Member

@jturner140

Locale: Midwest

BTW @jjmcwill , I see you’re in Michigan. If you’re ever down in Indiana and want to see a 2P Cirriform in person I’d be glad to set it up for you. Not sure if you even have any interest in front entry but it’s downright spacious in my opinion. The below picture from Google is what sealed the deal for me, seeing just how big the thing is I decided to pull the trigger and love it. My wife is 5’4″ and can sit up near the foot end so we’re easily able to sit up and hang out if it’s raining.

Image result for yama cirriform

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

I have been using a Golite SL5 and custom half inner with my wife and we have been pretty happy. I am not sure I wouldn’t try a Lunar Duo if I were looking today though. I think it would offer lots of useable room.

Solo I use a Solomid XL.

Andrew Priest
    BPL Member

@aushiker1

Locale: Fremantle

Okay thanks @Dean F. I had assumed that you had a reasoned argument for your view hence the question as I am interesting in being informed rather than a “fanboy”.

Serge Giachetti
    BPL Member

@giachett

Locale: boulder, co

I’ve been very happy with my duplex and I would definitely classify it as a 2 person shelter, although I’ve only used it with regular width pads.Battened down, I think this shelter is quite storm worthy, but like others have mentioned, it opens up beautifully when weather is nice. The dual doors/vestibules also makes for easy access and gear organization for both people.

Pete M
    BPL Member

@munro21

In the UK the Mids/Trailstars seem most popular, still standing when other shelters have been flattened, shredded or are leaking. Anyone I’ve asked for 2 person shelter advice for wet and windy conditions has said, “get a mid”. Cuben seems to work better in the straight Mid design than in the Trailstar. For two, I’ve been advised to look at the Duomid XL. Saying that the SS2 seems to be gaining popularity – Henry Shires said it is well suited to UK weather conditions.

How about the Yama Swiftline?

Hoosier – does that Cirriform Inner work well when the shelter is pinned low in storm conditions? How is it generally in stormy weather?

Dillan R
    BPL Member

@ulbp

Serge,

What was your experience like in windy conditions?  Was there quite a bit of wind inside?  Did pitching it lower help?

Hoosier T
    BPL Member

@jturner140

I have only used it in rain so far but I have read that they perform great in winds if pinned down. The inherent aerodynamics of this design makes it very suitable for wind. The inner has a nice way to be shortened if you are pinning the tarp to the ground. Go to 3:10 in this video to see it.

Also, Gen has a great section dedicated to setting the shelter up in various storm modes on his website.

Jeff McWilliams
    BPL Member

@jjmcwill

@Hoosier.  I’d love to check out your Cirriform 2P!  I guess I need to pick a hiking destination down that way sometime.

Or maybe we need to organize a GGG event in the Midwest?

Hoosier T
    BPL Member

@jturner140

Jeff,

That sounds like a solid plan. Just not the Knobstone. :) Just finished that bad boy last weekend and it is no fun. Deam Wildernedd in Hoosier National Forest is pretty cool and isn’t too challenging. I’d be glad to get a baby sitter and take a weekend if you decide to head this way.

Jacob H
    BPL Member

@jagorski

Hi everybody and thank you for this veritable discussion my offhand question began :) Glad to hear so many people so passionate about gear! I apologize for being MIA on the thread, I was kept too busy at work…but now I have time to get back to hiking! I ended up picking up a Duplex as a 1+/2 person tent. I will be going on a hike this week with a friend so we will get a chance to test whether it is a “true” 2 person tent or not. I’ll be going on more hikes later this year (including in CA and possibly in Europe) so it should get ample testing. I could see myself trying out some of the other shelters you all brought up, including the Cirriform and pyramids. I’m an architect so I often find myself more obsessed with intriguingly designed shelters than is healthy :)

Serge Giachetti
    BPL Member

@giachett

Locale: boulder, co

@Dillan R, sorry for the late reply. I think the duplex is pretty wind worthy (maybe more than the duomid?) although I imagine there are better options if you plan on consistantly camping above tree line. Between the bathtub floor and the overlapping doors, its pretty sealed off when everything is battened down. The tent has a great balance of space/weight/versaitlity. I use mine in all 4 seasons (depending on the forcast in winter). I love how you can pick which doors you want to leave open. I was in an all night rain about a month ago with a door open the hole night and I was totally dry.

Viewing 11 posts - 26 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools