Topic

Lightweight Tent Seam Sealing Fail

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Lightweight Tent Seam Sealing Fail

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    John W T
    BPL Member

@bilbby

Hi Everyone

I’ve been lurking for years.

We’ve been using a Marmot Limelight II for our back backing, heavy but bullet proof. At 6’6″ I just fit.

Wife knee’s are acting up so we are trying to reduced the pack weight.  We purchased a light weight 2 person Silnylon tent from a cottage tent mfg. They seam sealed the fly at no charge which was great but after doing a 1 hours sprinkler test there are leaks everywhere.  Even some of the fabric has started to soak through.

I’m wondering how successful I’ll be trying to add another layer of silicone seam sealing to the existing or if I should send the tent back?

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

Sorry, but I am a little confused…Are you reporting that a brand new tent, set up in the backyard and hit with the sprinkler is not only leaking at the seams, but that the fabric is also leaking?

John W T
    BPL Member

@bilbby

Yes to all.

95% of the fly is 2000mm Silnylon. The only leaks in this part are along the  the sewn seams and all of the pull out straps.

5% of the fly are the loops (not rhe pull outs) made from ??0mm fabric that the pole slides through. These loops are sewn to the 2000mm fly.  There are no leaks here… yet…..but the water has soaked through the fabric and into the thread.

Pedestrian
    BPL Member

@pedestrian

What brand is this tent? I’d return it to the vendor for either a refund or a better seam sealing job. You did pay for it……

David U
    Spectator

@the-family-guy

I would concur – send it back for a refund.

With respect to seamsealing, the best results that I have found is to follow the ‘Tarptent Method,’ which involves diluting silicon with mineral spirits at a ratio of approximately 1:1.  Then I brush it on with a small foam brush.  You won’t see it when dry.  Never had a leak and it only takes 30-45 minutes to complete.

John W T
    BPL Member

@bilbby

It is a Tarptent Sarp 2.

I just got off the phone with Tarpent to ask if seam sealing it again would work but they will not tell me.  Their opinion is since I’m not happy I’ll never be happy so they want to cut their losses. They want me to return it and they will pay 100% of the shipping and taxes but our trip starts tomorrow and we can’t leave without a tent.

There are also holes in corners (don’t know why Traptent seam sealed the fly and not the bath tub) of the bathtub where the thread has pulled. Tarptent told me to seam seal these but I can’t see how seam sealing these holes will work if seam sealing the fly didn’t work.

This is a mess!!

Tipi Walter
    BPL Member

@tipiwalter

Thanks John WT for the update.  As I read your first post I thought—it couldn’t be a TarpTent could it?  and Dangit yes it is.  The highly vaunted TarpTent.

Maybe Franco will post and explain everything with some excessively positive vibes.

In your situation I’d get a lightweight tarp and carry it with your defective tent and use it as a rainfly.

Todd T
    BPL Member

@texasbb

Locale: Pacific Northwest

That’s certainly an unusual problem; not sure I’ve ever heard of such issues with a Tarptent (I own two).  FWIW, I’ve never seam-sealed my floors and never had a problem.  Also FWIW, I’ve always done my own seam sealing and did have to redo one seam once, when it started dripping around one of the door tie backs.  I can’t imagine why re-sealing would be a problem, as long as you use the right products.  (Mainly, stay away from the “green” mineral spirits.  Some seem to work, some will ruin your tent.)

John W T
    BPL Member

@bilbby

Tarptent went out of thier way to seamseal the fly and get it shipped out.

In the rush to get the tent shipped they managed to sew the fly a corner pocket which I found the first time I set it up. To resolve the issue tarptent was going ship another fly ASAP.  That was 100% customer but I thought I could save them the expense of sending another fly if they gave me permission to cut the thread.  I cut the thread but it left the fly stretched and with holes. This was the start of things going sideways as the conversation went from replacing the fly maybe patching the small holes.

I’ve worked with outdoor fabrics (but not Silnylon) for 40 years. It wasn’t until I questioned Tarptent about the longterm waterproofing of seam sealing the holes in corners of the bathtub that things went completly sideways.

Pedestrian
    BPL Member

@pedestrian

Hmmm….the “situation” is a bit more complicated.

If I were you I’d still return it for the refund Tarptent is offering you.

Just buy a tent at REI or other retailer for the trip.

Tarptent could easily take the following stance:

“A lack of planning on your part does not necessitate an emergency on mine.”

Or something to that effect.

In any case, have a great trip!

John W T
    BPL Member

@bilbby

Be strange if Tarptent took that stance.

I told Tarptent that we were looking for Scarp2 for a trip starting Aug.14. It was great when they offerd to build/ship it to meet our schedule but they screwed up which caused the emergency.

J-L
    BPL Member

@johnnyh88

I’m confused about your situation and what the actual problem is, particularly this: “they managed to sew the fly a corner pocket which I found the first time I set it up…I cut the thread but it left the fly stretched and with holes.”

What is a corner pocket on a fly? What did you cut? Why is it now stretched? Where is it leaking? If you want help from the forum, post some pictures.

If you are worried about the floor leaking, seam seal the holes.

David U
    Spectator

@the-family-guy

Maybe it is a Terptent?

John W T
    BPL Member

@bilbby

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools