Topic

Lightweight pots for Philmont

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Scouting Philmont Lightweight pots for Philmont

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Guy Trek
    BPL Member

@trek_guy

I recently purchased these pots, which I felt were pretty “light” considering the Philmont pot requirements.  Perhaps others will find this information useful.

Ace Camp 8L Aluminum Tribal Pot: 1 lb. 6.6 oz. (plus 5.5 oz. for the lid)

Ace Camp 4L Aluminum Tribal Pot:  14.9 oz. (plus 4.1 oz. for the lid)

TAG in AZ
    BPL Member

@tagiam

Locale: PHX

Much appreciated.  I was looking for pots to use on our training hikes.

Tim P
    BPL Member

@empacador

Thank you for the information.  I’m trying to research getting lighter-weight items, as we have a young crew and the weight reduction may go a long way to having a better time.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

The fastest route to big weight reduction is to leave half the gear behind. BPL has a slogan: “Don’t pack your fears.”
    You might also find it helpful to review all the boys’ packs AFTER Mummy has left – and leave half of the contents behind then.

Cheers

Jeffrey Peters
    BPL Member

@petey091

The Ace Camp is the current issued pot at Philmont.  As for lightweight options for gear you have to show them the way. We weighed each pack at the beginning of every shakedown trip. We also showed them the difference in weight of Nagene vs smartwater bottles. Most of my crew decided that trail runners worked for them. We had a father and son that stuck with boots. They got soaked at the beginning of the trek and stayed damp the whole time.

Nate Ward
    BPL Member

@tdaward

Locale: The woods of the South

I pick up 2 of these at WalMart for my 2016 trip and they worked great.  May be an ounce or two heavier. We also built coozies for them out of bubble insulation.  That was the best thing we did!

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mainstays-8-Quart-Stock-Pot-with-Lid-Stainless-Steel/37320201

Tim P
    BPL Member

@empacador

Can you tell me more about the coozies?  Is it just bubble insulation that you would install after the pot was off the burner?

Nate Ward
    BPL Member

@tdaward

exactly….boil the water and slide it into the coozie. They held the heat in for quite some time.  You can get the bubble wrap at Lowes/Home Depot, it’s made to line your roof for a radiation barrier.  We put our seams together with aluminum foil tape

Gerry H
    BPL Member

@geeteeh

Locale: USA Mid-Atlantic

Did your pot cozy just wrap the sides or did you have a bottom? Looks like no bottom in the pic. Do you wait half a minute before wrapping?

We go July 2018, trying to get as much info as possible, especially regarding cooking Philmont style. Just took the one day Field PASS class, very informative.

Tony Ronco
    BPL Member

@tr-browsing

Nate Ward
    BPL Member

@tdaward

Sorry, haven’t been here in a few weeks….went strait from the stove to the coozie….no issues ever, the stainless transfers heat so quickly it won’t melt the insulation.  You could put a bottom on them easily, we chose no to so it would pack better.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools