Topic

Lightweight Packrafting PFD – Most Important Features?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Packrafting Lightweight Packrafting PFD – Most Important Features?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Philip Werner
    BPL Member

@earlylite

Locale: White Mountain National Forest

I’m looking for a lightweight PFD for flatwater packrafting in New England, so cooler water, on ponds and lakes. I’ll mostly be fly fishing, Tenkara-style of course.

I’m looking for a lightweight PFD I can pack in to remote off-trail ponds that’s not cumbersome to wear and not easily deflated by an errant “fly”.

Looking for recommendations as well as some discussion on what you think are must-have features and capabilities. I’m a strong swimmer and experienced white water kayaker and while I don’t expect to go beyond Class 1 water, the thought of using gas triggered SUP style PFD makes me a bit uncomfortable. What say ye?

Ben Brochu
    BPL Member

@crooked_creek-2-2

Locale: Hinterland Outdoors

If you want a “real” foam pfd, the lightest I know if is the MTI Journey at 12 ounces. Very economical too. But the bulk is still there. Several people have made home-made pfds using Platypus bottles, Therm-a-rests, and the like. There are several commercial options for inflatable pfds, and I’m comfortable with that on flat water because a hook puncture would result in a hole so tiny that getting to shore would not be a problem and you can easily add air while floating. I use a 480 denier snorkel vest that is super tough, but still light and compact. If the water is very cold, I’d rather invest the weight and space in my lightweight drysuit, which also adds considerable floatation, especially the more clothes you have underneath. But your peace of mind is worth whatever you need to carry.

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

For class 1 I don’t think there are any obligatory features beyond a decent fit.  A pocket or two on the front is nice, for fishing gear and snacks, as is a knife lash tab for when you inevitably get into harder moving water.

Philip Werner
    BPL Member

@earlylite

Locale: White Mountain National Forest

Unfortunately, the MTI Journey is sold out worldwide. Any other suggestions?

Marc Shea
    BPL Member

@flytepacker

Locale: Cascades

Looks like they are in stock at amazon and other places. http://www.amazon.com/MTI-Adventurewear-Journey-Jacket-Medium/dp/B00346AVOW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1458309896&sr=8-1&keywords=mti+journey

I have the Journey in XL and it is right at about 16 oz.  I am guessing that the 12oz is on the smaller end of the sizing chart.

Ben Brochu
    BPL Member

@crooked_creek-2-2

Locale: Hinterland Outdoors

Yeah $53 and free shipping on eBay too: http://www.ebay.com/itm/MTI-Journey-lg-xl-Mango-pfd-Kayak-Paddling-Life-Jacket-/322043619787?hash=item4afb4ba9cb:g:obQAAOSwCQNWdICo

And 12 oz was just what I’ve seen listed on packrafting forums, so I could be wrong. I don’t have one. Re: features, I’m with Dave, I don’t think anything is needed beyond fit and float. You can always use jacket/pack pockets for stuff. If you have built in features, they’ll be redundant at least part of the time.

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

I recently replaced my very old PFD, and ended up getting an NRS Vapor.  Very nice fit, and the big front hardwarmer pocket and zippered pocket seem like a very practical design.  Easily big enough for a map and snacks.  Most kayaking PFDs seem to be short and fairly thick, especially in the front (i.e. NRS Ninja), which is harder to pack as part of a multiday load and more seriously make it harder to get back in your boat.  The front panel of the Vapor is barely over 2 inches thick, and the whole package not much over 3.  Not the lightest package, but nice.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools