Topic

Lightweight (not Ultralight) Backpacking Shoe Suggestions

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Lightweight (not Ultralight) Backpacking Shoe Suggestions

Viewing 3 posts - 26 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    Erik G
    BPL Member

@fox212

Locale: Central Coast

Given your situation, I’d take a close look at the newest iterations of the Brooks Cascadia. I’m rocking the 14’s right now and plan to buy at least one more pair. Now that it comes in wide sizes, you can get a very similar fit to the Topo’s and Altra’s in the toe box. I find the heal cup of the Cascadia to be just about perfect as well: Goes up high enough in the back, and has pretty deep cuts to fit around ankle bones.

They are decidedly stiffer than most other trail runners I’ve used, including Topo’s and Altra’s. They must have a more robust rock plate. They also have a pretty generous amount of cushion, and low-ish drop. Other great features include a functional gaiter trap on the heel, gusseted tongue, and a shoe lace pocket on the tongue (perfect for leaving shoes untied in camp, etc).

Obviously they have to fit YOUR feet, but if you like the fit of the Topo’s and Altra’s but need a little more stiffness and cushion, I think the Cascadia’s are worth trying.

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

I wish there was a running list of trail running shoes having vibram soles.

Here are some https://us.vibram.com/outdoor/mountain/trail-running/

https://www.zappos.com/filters/vibram-men/OgKlDcABAuICAhgH.zso?t=vibram

Lennox N
    BPL Member

@blue-grendelgmail-com

Thanks, Erik! I will definitely look at the Brooks Cascadia.

Lennox

Viewing 3 posts - 26 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools