Topic

Lightweight Base Layer

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Lightweight Base Layer

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Jeff Hollis
    BPL Member

@hyperslug

Looking for inexpensive lightweight base layer. I have a set of Terramar silk which are my go to sleeping layer and looking for something less see through for for hiking.  I like the claimed weight of Patagonia Capilene lightweight but a set would cost me $100. Has anyone found a cheap synthetic with a crew running 4 oz or less? Thanks, Jeff

Thomas Willard
    BPL Member

@tomw

Locale: Philadelphia

For affordable, I am a user of Uniqlo Heat Tech thermals. My XL top weighs 7 ounces and ran $15.

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

I’m a user of the Patagonia Capilene LW stuff. I like it. Durability is good. Holds it’s shape and very light. My mens medium tee is 76g (2.7oz). Keep an eye on Patagonia’s end of season sales. I think the Capliene LW was 30-40% off a few months ago when the summer clearance was on, and I hope they’ll do a similar sale around February when the summer stuff is rolling in.

The only thing else I’ve used that is similar is some GoLite stuff, but that’s not available anymore.

EDIT: Actually some of last seasons colors are still on sale ($27 vs $39). Sizing options are a bit limited:

http://www.patagonia.com/product/mens-capilene-lightweight-t-shirt/45651.html?dwvar_45651_color=UWTB&cgid=web-specials-mens-baselayers#tile-3=&start=1&sz=24

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

Outdoor Reasearch Echo shirts are another option if you find a sale.

Jeff Hollis
    BPL Member

@hyperslug

Thanks for your replies. I have several options in the 5.5-7.5 oz range so will use those until I catch the LW Capilene on sale. The Echo looks like a good option as well.

Jeff

Ben C
    BPL Member

@alexdrewreed

Locale: Kentucky

The material on the Echo looks virtually identical to the lightest cailene stuff.  It seems to fit a little looser than the capilene.

Andre Buhot
    BPL Member

@shadow-mkii

The uniqlo heatech and airism base layers are just as good or better than the OR or Patagonia.  I use them for about 250 days a year.

Jeff Hollis
    BPL Member

@hyperslug

Do you have the weights?

Andre Buhot
    BPL Member

@shadow-mkii

The Airism LS is 121g and the Heatech LS is 166g My OR echo LS is 104g and my Cap 1 LS is 161g all in Medium

Jeff Hollis
    BPL Member

@hyperslug

Thanks for listing the  Weights Andre!

It looks like the Patagonia LW is the lightest option over silk so I will hold out for a sale.

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

I think the OR Echo and the current version of Patagonia Loghtweight use the exact same fabric. The cut of the OR is supposed to be slightly larger.

Anonymous
    Inactive

The cheap at Costco 32* “Heat” brand baselayers work decently and typically cost from the 6 to 10 dollar range.

And while they are mostly synthetic and thin–so they dry fast, they are surprisingly decent at odor control.  Probably because the ones I have, have around 22% Rayon content. Rayon doesn’t foster the growth of microbes.

The older shirt versions for some reason, wick better than the recent pants version I got.  Not sure why, but the latter wicks but not super well.

Ito Jakuchu
    BPL Member

@jakuchu

Locale: Japan

I think the OR Echo and the current version of Patagonia Loghtweight use the exact same fabric. The cut of the OR is supposed to be slightly larger.

Yeah. I had OR Echo shirts for two seasons before the new Pataguchi Lightweight came out with the same fabric. Don’t know how long they had it before that but for in real hot and humid summer it has been amazing for me.

Had one snag in the beginning and was thinking these won’t hold up long, but I haven’t had any issues afterwards when using them 2-3 times a week for 2-3 hours of running in the mountains.

I personally like the ones with zippers so I can vent even more.

Don’t know about sizing difference but for me American companies are often kind of a boxy fit.

kevperro .
    BPL Member

@kevperro

Locale: Washington State

I’m a big believer in placebo.   I just spend a lot of money on something with lots of cool hang-tags and then I feel warmer.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools