Topic

Lightweight airline carry-on pack?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Lightweight airline carry-on pack?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Brett Peugh
    BPL Member

@bpeugh

Locale: Midwest

Hello,

I am wondering if anyone could suggest an airline compliant carry-on backpack that meets the 22x14x9?  Maybe something that had some framing and/or that might have some mesh on the outside.  Thank you.

Philip Tschersich
    BPL Member

@philip-ak

Locale: Kodiak Alaska

HMG 2400 pack, like the Junction?

Brett Peugh
    BPL Member

@bpeugh

Locale: Midwest

Thanks, but maybe not something that costs $320.  :)

S Long
    BPL Member

@izeloz

Locale: Wasatch

I’ve been really happy with my Zpacks Nero. No frame, but I usually use a folded up 1/8 CCF pad in its place.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

No mesh on the outside but I like my Osprey Porter 30. It has some foam and plastic that gives it good stiffness despite the lack of a traditional frame. I picked it up on Amazon for $90, iirc. Edit: it’s definitely the heaviest pack I own but it functions very well as a traditional carry-on pack with well thought out pockets and a laptop sleeve.

I have also flown with an MLD Core. No mesh on that either but it’s compact and very light. I managed to use a Core 22 for a seven night summer trip to Detroit a couple summers ago. I enjoyed the challenge of packing everything I needed in such a small pack.

bjc
    BPL Member

@bj-clark-2-2

Locale: Colorado

Agree about the Osprey Porter packs if you want a functional travel pack.

Mark Verber
    BPL Member

@verber

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

I have used an older (40L) GG Gorilla.  HMG 2400 would likely work as would most any frameless pack you don’t over stuff. Six Moon Designs and ULA make packs designed for this hybrid use case but are heavy and not cheap. Remember that stakes and poles can not be carry on.. you need to check them – cardboard poster container works well.

I have a list of travel packs  I have tried. The best value for reason comfort, durability, and price would be Osprey’s Porter.

J R
    BPL Member

@jringeorgia

I’ve carried on my Arc Blast with stays in, no issues on about a half dozen roundtrips.

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

I opted for the Osprey Transporter 40 and absolutely love it.  Recently used it for a 2 week Costa Rica trip and actually overpacked as it is deceptively voluminous while still meeting airline carry-on size restrictions.  It carries beautifully in backpack mode.

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

…Looks like it it now called the Transporter Duffel 40

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools