Topic

Lightweight 4 Season Tent for Iceland

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Lightweight 4 Season Tent for Iceland

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 36 total)
  • Author
    Rosanne V
    Spectator

@theredpapers

I have been looking around this forum for a while to gather advise on gear, but some of the relevant threads are a little old by now, so I decided to post my own question.

I am planning a thru-hike around Iceland this summer for which I need a suitable tent. I am not an expert on shelters, so I could really use some advise!

I need a one person, 4 season, freestanding tent, that can take heavy rain and extreme winds. I will be living in this for three or four months, so I need to be somewhat comfortable: a vestibule that can hold my dirty shoes and pack, and I need to be able to sit up in it, so it’s livable when I get stuck inside for a day (or a few) due to bad weather.

My 3 season tent is a Big Agnes Fly Creek UL1, which I love, as it’s simple and light. It’s all I need from a tent really, but I don’t think it will be strong enough for Iceland. I have been caught in a bad storm with it in Tasmania, and it survived, but it wasn’t comfortable.

Now my main issue is not being able to find a 4 season tent light enough. So far, the tents that have caught my eye are the Hilleberg Akto and the Tarptent Scarp 1, that I believe both would do the job well and withstand the extreme weather conditions. But both are quite heavy. Including footprint (and in the case of the Scarp 1 the extra poles to make the tent windproof and freestanding) they both end up around 2 kg / 70 oz. And I am a 5’8″, 115 pound female so I would really, really like something a little lighter. Preferably under 1.5 kg / 50 oz. (If they exist…?)

I did come across the Lightwave t10 Raid, and the s10 Sigma which seem a little lighter, but I haven’t been able to find much information on how well they would hold up.

Does anyone have any advise on suitable shelters or have opinions on the ones mentioned above?

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

Manfred and his daughter did a South-to-North crossing of Iceland last summer.  She went for the first 110 miles, he finished the last 330 miles at a faster pace:  https://backpackinglight.com/forums/topic/traversing-iceland-a-father-daughter-adventure/

He said about his tent: “we spent a night in 20+ mph winds with gust of 40+ mph. Our zPacks Duplex did just fine with a couple of extra guy lines, which cannot be said for all other tents in the camp ground.”

There are a number of photos with his tent in various settings on that trip.

Maybe also looks at Manfred Brook’s Range trip report (or anyone else’s).  I think he, Daniel and Phillip were each in their own tents for that trip.  One zipper failed (I sent him a new tent), but otherwise, the tents survived the month-long trip in a setting much like Iceland, only more remote.

Brian B
    BPL Member

@brianb

Locale: Alaska

Is free-standing a requirement? The Akto wouldn’t generally be considered free-standing. The Hilleberg Soulo would be but you’re talking 2.5 kg/85oz. The only other truly free-standing tents that are in your desired weight range would be the Black Diamond Firstlight (not waterproof) or Mountain Hardware Direkt 2 (supposedly waterproof but i know a guy…); neither have free-standing vestibules.

If you’re willing to rely on stakes, I might suggest MLD Trailstar with a solid inner (you’d have make or have someone else make the inner though).

With strength in the wind, rain-proof, lightweight and free-standing being goals, I think something is going to have to give.

Alex Wallace
    BPL Member

@feetfirst

Locale: Sierra Nevada North

The Big Sky International Chinook 1 person seems to meet your needs. Just under 50 oz. (w/ mesh inner), 4-season, double-wall, and relatively spacious w/ two doors & vestibules. The breathable fabric inner, which adds 2 ounces so just over 50 oz. total, might be better for your needs though.

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Sorry, I missed the free-standing requirement.  That always adds weight.  An aside: even free-standing tents can handle more wind when you stake them out and run guy lines from intermediate points on the up-wind side.

Going solo, and being very light-weight yourself, it makes lots of sense to really trim weight.  Could you imagine doing the trip in a bivy sack?  Then you have even lighter weight, smaller bulk, faster set-up, and it’s functional in even higher winds.

I’ve only done day hikes on my two Iceland vacations, but my Aleutian backpacking trips are similar in many ways.  On those and reading Manfred’s and others’ trip reports, I’d plan for long days of high winds.  Of course, plan for it with equipment and clothing, but almost more so, plan for it psychologically.  After a long day of slogging against the wind, you may spend all night in a noisy tent, flappy loudly in the wind.  Maybe just wind, or maybe horizontal rain, too.  That requires a mental toughness (or calm) in addition to the physical fitness and skills to do a high-mileage trip in better weather.

Katherine .
    BPL Member

@katherine

Locale: pdx

fwiw, if you were curious about the duplex, there the “Flex” freestanding option for it…

http://www.zpacks.com/shelter/duplex-flex.shtml

no first hand experience.

Rosanne V
    Spectator

@theredpapers

Some great advise to look into there, thanks.

I actually did look into the Chinook, but for some reason didn’t decide to include it here, not sure why, so thanks for mentioning it, Alex. I think I need to spend a bit more time on the website (which makes my head hurt a little) adding up all the weights, as I dont believe it includes stakes and footprint etc… I’m curious to see how much it will add up to in the end, cause it looks like a good option.

I found Manfred’s account of hiking through Iceland, which was a great read. I hadn’t considered the Duplex, but it actually looks quite interesting with the freestanding poles (although also quite expensive…) I have to wonder whether the tent would be cold in bad weather with the mesh interior compared to the more solid materials usually used for 4 season tents? (I know my sleeping system will mainly determine how warm or cold I will be, but I still ask…)

Being prepared psychologically is very true, and I am sure I will get tested (a lot) by getting exposed to some uncomfortable days of miserably cold and wet hiking days. I guess that’s why I am hoping to find a reasonably comfortable shelter in which I can hole up at night and hide from the elements as much as possible. To be honest I don’t think I could make a bivvy sack my home for a number of months..!

Brian – you are right, the Akto isn’t actually freestanding. I forgave it for that because I have heard quite a few good accounts of people using the tent in Iceland or under similar circumstances. And unfortunately the Soulo is indeed too heavy for me.
    The Firstlight and Direkt 2 are sadly no contenders due to having no vestibule. I have to be able to store my wet and dirty gear somewhere away from myself.
    The Trailstar may not be for me, from what I read staking can be tricky in Iceland (plus I’m pretty bad at forcing strength through my hands) and I don’t use trekking poles… ?

Alex Wallace
    BPL Member

@feetfirst

Locale: Sierra Nevada North

Yeah, Big Sky’s website is a mess. I think it’s best to email or call them to pin down all of the options and details.

I just saw that MSR released a new “Access” 4-season line of tents. The Access 1 looks doable for you too.

Rosanne V
    Spectator

@theredpapers

Actually I was very interested in the Access 1 until I read this review on Outside Online which makes me doubt its capability of dealing with intense wind… otherwise I really liked the idea of it. If anyone has experience with this tent, let me know!

Michael
    BPL Member

@tjayblues

I have never owned a Hilleberg, but it seems to me like the HIlleberg Red Label Solo tents ( Akto, Soulo, Unna) are built for your needs.

The Soulo and Akto probably have the vestibule space you are looking for.

Not crazy light, but certainly well built

John Brown
    Spectator

@johnbrown2005

Locale: Portland, OR

Wow, just read the Access review. Ouch! I don’t think I’ve ever seen outside give a bad review.

Rosanne V
    Spectator

@theredpapers

Hmm, does anyone have experience with the Zpack Duplex in horizontal rain / storm / consistently disastrous and freezing weather?

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

I know a few guys use them in the U.K. Which should have similar weather I would think. The trailstar seems to be a favorite there. I know of one poster on trek lite that had the corner rip off of a duplex in 60 mph winds. If it was really 60mph not many tents could hold up to that.

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

trekkertent claims to test their tents on scottish hill tops up to 100 km/h …. though staking might be a bit fun …

;)

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

Have you considered a large pyramid tent? I’m not experienced with extreme weather so I can’t say if it would be strong enough, but a large pyramid provides a lot of living room for the weight.

Catherine Harley
    BPL Member

@cathyjc

Locale: Scotland

“I know a few guys use them in the U.K. Which should have similar weather I would think. The trailstar seems to be a favorite there. I know of one poster on trek lite that had the corner rip off of a duplex in 60 mph winds. If it was really 60mph not many tents could hold up to that.”

– That was  Mark/”gixer’ who is also a member on BPL. From very long discussions https://www.trek-lite.com/index.php?threads/2015-lakes-trip.1042/ re. his experiences I’d say the Duplex is not going to be weather worthy enough for 3-4 months in Iceland where you will meet poor weather at some time for sure. Mark found the Duplex “drafty” and therefore cold. Blowing dust would be an issue in Iceland.  His incident was in the English lakes.

I hike in Scotland – if I was out for a few days and knew the weather was going to be clement then I might get away with a Duplex……..but longer = no . The weather in Iceland won’t be much different to Scotland. The popular choices here for your sort of trip would be a Trailstar with inner / a Mid. / or a Scarp. However, pegging in Scotland is rarely a problem. Only the Scarp with crossing poles will tick that box.

My couple of cents worth :-)

PS  a tarp tent Stratospire 1 would be very liveable but needs good pegging :-(

Rosanne V
    Spectator

@theredpapers

Ha! Trekkerstent just appears to have discontinued their 4 season tent in favour of a new one that hasn’t come out yet… ? Will have to keep my eyes peeled on that one just in case.

Justin – I’m not concerned so much what shape or size it has really, as long as it’s big enough to sit up in and stormworthy… So far the tents I have found that have proved themselves in severe weather have not been pyramid shaped.

Catherine / Brad – thanks for that link, that was exactly the kind of account I was struggling to find. I guess that’s a no for me on the Duplex, it doesn’t sound like the right tent for my type of trip.
    The MLD Solomid XL in a silnylon however looks quite interesting (Trailstar a bit too big for my liking), but I reckon I’d have to find a solid inner elsewhere, as the mesh seems like it may let in too much wind. I’d have to up my pegging-game though, which may be a problem. The Scarp would be better for that… but still it’s double the weight. I was hoping to get my pack weight down from last time but sporting an ultra lightweight pack may be a dream a bit further down the line for me…

Henry Shires / Tarptent
    BPL Member

@07100

Locale: Upper Sierra Foothills - Gold Rush Country

PS  a tarp tent Stratospire 1 would be very liveable but needs good pegging :-(

ALL tents need “good pegging” or they blow away.

Just FYI re: the MSR model, I think a big part of the problem is the pole choice (not to mention the flat/steep non-vestibule side). I love Easton aluminum poles but the composite Syclone poles are just too flexible for that use. The poles are resistant to breaking but have very little poor stiffness / fabric support.  I don’t understand the thinking there…

Thomas Willard
    BPL Member

@tomw

Locale: Philadelphia

I have been to Iceland in summer and winter. In the summer you could possibly get away with a cuben shelter. Since you plan on being there for 4 months you will see everything. I have seen snow in mid-July there. I personally wouldn’t trust a single wall cuben shelter but someone did use one and had success.

I would offer up a alternate thought. Instead of a true 4 season tent, how about a durable 3 season tent? The Sierra Designs Clip Flashlight comes to mind. It’s about as bombproof of a 3 season shelter you can get. The 2P is roomy for one and the fabrics are heavier while at a decent weight of 3.5lbs. I have the new model and have enjoyed it over the winter.

Ryan Smith
    BPL Member

@violentgreen

Locale: East TN

PSA – My fat finger accidentally clicked “report” on Henry’s post trying to answer my phone. Nothing intended there.

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

trekkertent informed me that their “3 season” stealth with the 40D sil option and solid inner is used by some of their customers as a “4 season” tent … thats also the one they test to 100kmph or 60mph winds on scottish hill tops

i would however get their 1.5 or 2 person version just for the extra space for your use

send an email to marc there and hes pretty helpful

;)

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

<div class=”error bbp-rc-reply-is-reported”>

This reply has been reported for inappropriate content.

</div>

. . . need “good pegging”

“accidentally clicked “report”

Ah.  I was going to say that I don’t think Henry meant “pegging” in the newest sense of the word.

Rosanne V
    Spectator

@theredpapers

Oh Thomas, now you’re opening up a whole new can of worms!

But yes, you are right, a solid 3 season shelter may work, although in my quest for something lighter than the Akto or Scarp 1, my initial choices, are there aactually any tents left that that would still hold up in such bad weather? The Sierra Designs one you mentioned isn’t actually much lighter, for example. But it makes me wonder if the 3 season Hilleberg Enan would work?

Eric – interesting about the Trekkertent. Will do a bit more research on that one. Have to say I do prefer the shape of their Phreeranger, not sure how that one performs though. Somehow I can never imagine tents that are shaped like the Stealth to do well outside of the back yard… It’s probably some weird mental block I need to get over!

(And what does pegging mean in the newest sense of the word? Or should I not ask…?)

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

1. You shouldn’t ask.
    2. Urban Dictionary.
    3. Dan Savage coined it, as he has several other terms.
    4. All of which are NSFW.
    Susan D
    BPL Member

@susand

Locale: montana

You might want to reconsider the Scarp.  Shouldn’t need the crossing poles (more for snow than wind, or at least that’s what I was told when I asked last year).  I can’t see any advantage of making the Scarp free-standing that would justify the pole weight.  You’d have to be staking it down in inclement weather, anyway.  I did a lot of research and bought the Scarp last year.  Used it for about four weeks in the UK and Iceland.  Doing it again.  Didn’t have terrible weather, but it did see some heavy rain.  I have both the Fly Creek 1 and 2 (soon to be put up for sale), and compared to them, the Scarp is a palace (I’m 5′ 7″).  TONS of room.  Having two vestibules was very handy in bad weather.  Very solidly made; excellent materials.  Absolutely no reason for a footprint.  In addition to the tent, I took 12 assorted stakes, the tent bag, stake bag, extra cord and line locks – it all weighed in at 1560 g (55 oz).  I did use cord at the “lifters” (?) at one or both ends sometimes, and tied it to my trekking pole.  Wasn’t necessary.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 36 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools