Topic

lightweight 30-ish liter pack- z-pack Nero, MLD Burn, SWD Superior- others?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) lightweight 30-ish liter pack- z-pack Nero, MLD Burn, SWD Superior- others?

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

Looking for a 2-3 day trip lightweight backpack (30-ish liters, frameless, 16-ish oz).  The above look pretty close to what I’m looking for, any firsthand experience with any would be appreciated.  I’m probably missing a few, feel free to point them out :)

Thanks

Mike

Monte Masterson
    BPL Member

@septimius

Locale: Southern Indiana

I’m loving my 30 liter ZPacks Sub Nero that I feature on the current thread here on BPL. https://backpackinglight.com/forums/topic/sul-kit-for-temps-50-f-pictorial-and-detailed-gear-list/

The pic I posted at the top of the thread doesn’t show the pack at its full volume potential because I didn’t have enough in it, but this 2nd pic shows the Sub Nero at full capacity. Weighs 9.7 oz in Robic. Very comfortable shoulder straps. https://zpacks.com/products/sub-nero-30l-robic-backpack

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

thanks I’ll add that to the list to look at!

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

I think the LiteAF MutliDay and Curve both fit your criteria.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Thanks- those both look pretty nice :)

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

Also the GG Kumo is a great pack. I prefer packs that are a little wider and shallower to keep the center of mass closer to my body. I think the Nero, Zero, Kumo and LiteAF packs do better than the Burn by my particular criteria. Some may say this doesn’t matter much, particularly on a smaller pack but I think it makes a night and day difference.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

Oh and Zimmerbuilt’s Pika is a really nice pack, has options available and his build time is typically very quick. I don’t remember the volume of his Quickstep but it’s in the same neighborhood.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Danke! :)

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

Kumo!

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

I knew I had left some out! :)

Serge Giachetti
    BPL Member

@giachett

Locale: boulder, co

Also highly recommend the kumo. This pack rides extremely well. The wide and thick shoulder straps do a better job at distributing the weight than other frameless packs. Not totally a fair comparison, since I’m usually carrying light loads with this, but this is definitely my favorite pack I’ve ever used and I’ve owned a number of them.

Mark Messonnier
    BPL Member

@qzm3

I really like the feel and packability of the Kumo as well.  But I have to give mine up because there’s no way I can reach the side water bottle pockets.  I have the LiteAF 35L MultiDay; it carries well and I can easily reach the side pockets.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Well after much hand twisting :), I opted to give the SWD Superior a go.  Having a true 30 liters just in the bag was probably the deciding factor.  An optional padded hip belt was a plus too when loads (wether snowshoes, water, whatever) get a little heavier.

Having all the packs listed/mentioned in my house might have yielded a different choice, but that’s not an option.

If the Superior doesn’t workout, looks like I have several fallback choices :)

Tom V
    BPL Member

@rockbox

I’m a fan of the burn straps and the Nashville Cutaway

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

that’s a pack I’ve not seen, looks pretty nice :)

Josh J
    BPL Member

@uahiker

So many good packs to choose from! Need to do more research,  Thank!

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

So many good packs to choose from! Need to do more research,  Thank!

isn’t that the truth!

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools