Topic

lightheart duo first edition vs 2019 tarptent double rainbow

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) lightheart duo first edition vs 2019 tarptent double rainbow

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Matt Swider
    Spectator

@sbslider

Locale: Santa Barbara

I have camped with my wife in our duo for a couple of years.  There are a lot of things I like about the tent.  One of the few things I don’t like is getting in and out.  While it is side entry, I feel like the pole in the middle limits the ease of entry/exit.  We are both in our mid 50s and generally don’t make it through the night without getting up at least once.

I have been looking at the double rainbow as an alternative.  I wisht the door openings were a bit bigger, but they do seem to be more than half of the tent, and there is not solid pole there.  It appears the DR may have a smaller footprint, I’ll need to pull out the duo to see how wide it is, but if someone knows the advertise width of the first edition version that would be sweet.  I am also thinking all things being equal, the DR would do better with condensation.  Not typically a big deal where we camp, but our next trip is the trans catalina trail, and I suspect camping on the beach will be a condensation experience.

Looking for feedback from double rainbow users on ease of entry exit, especially at a more advanced age.   Other options worth discussing accepted as well, keeping it near or below $300ish.  Duplex is not in consideration.

Kimberly Wersal
    BPL Member

@kwersal

Locale: Western Colorado

My husband and I are both 60.  We have used a DR for over 10 years now, and find it easy to get in and out of, plus reasonably roomy. We’ve never had condensation issues, but live in a fairly dry climate.  We have found the DR to be easy to set up and durable.  In it’s 12th summer, ours has never had a hole in the body or mesh, but the zippers are finally starting to go.

Matt Swider
    Spectator

@sbslider

That is great feedback Kimberly, thank you!

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

BTW, the 2019 gives the DR a nice facelift with several improvements .
    Here is the official list :
    33% wider apex for dramatically more comfortable interior volume
    Fully stuffable body
    5,000 mm hydrostatic head pressure rating for fly, 3,000 mm for floor.
    Lower fly edge and well-supported bathtub floor with 5in / 12.5 cm walls to eliminate splash potential
    Waterproof vestibule zippers
    Wider (by 2in / 5cm) floor
    Vestibule doors now partially unzip and tension back to enhance ventilation in the rain while still fully protecting the interior
    Integrated gear pockets at each interior zippered door

Sam Farrington
    BPL Member

@scfhome

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA

They both appear to be single wall tents.  Just a light mesh wall under the ceiling from the peaks down to the head and foot ends would protect against condensation and keep you much dryer in most climates.  Did buy the liner for the old rainbow, but it was not a true double wall.

Tarptent has some models with full netting inner walls and Lightheart may also.  For some reason Tarptent does not do a Bowfin 2, while the Bowfin 1 has an inner netting wall.  Maybe Franco will clarify.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

All a  double wall shelter with a solid inner would do when camping in a condensation prone zone , is to have the inner  catch some drips from the fly, if that happens and or preventing the user brushing agains a wet top.  The exact same thing happens with the Rainbow liner.

Personally I preferred just to wipe the underside of my Rainbow. I had a liner for the original Moment but after using it a few times wiping worked for me so I saved some weight.

Sam Farrington
    BPL Member

@scfhome

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA

Thanks, Franco.  Camping in mountains in the US and Canada, there has never been an area that was not condensation prone.   So I prefer a light inner, net or solid, that is taut and keeps me and my gear from brushing against condensation inside single tent walls.  Got tired of wet clothing and sleeping bags, that let heat be sucked away on cold nights .

Comments on BPL suggest that DCF tents are less prone to condensation, but they are quite expensive, do not last as long, and modifications are more difficult than with sewing woven fabrics.  Plus any thin walled material will develop condensation to some degree when the temperature and humidity are greater inside than out, as in the mountains.  With good venting and taut inner net walls, I’ve never gotten wet from condensation when brushing inner walls.

Francis DeRoos
    BPL Member

@fderoos

I use a Lightheart single first edition for my solo tent and a tarp tent double Rainbow when traveling with my wife.  I appreciate how easy it is to set up and the double entrances. Plenty of room and stable for most trips.  My DR held up well with 1 inch snow and then 2 hrs of heavy hail a 2 yrs ago in september in the winds. It’s a great 2 person tent overall.

Matt Swider
    Spectator

@sbslider

thanks for the feedback, I pulled the trigger on the DR a couple days ago, just waiting for it to be built as they are on backorder.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools