Topic

Lightest/thinnest material for tarp?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Lightest/thinnest material for tarp?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Andrew D
    BPL Member

@adegar

I want to/want someone to make a tarp similar to the SMD Deschutes tarp… but lighter. Not made of cuben, but a lighter silnylon or silpoly material. I don’t know what would be a good light material for this; for reference, SMD uses 30D Silicon Nylon. Any input will be appreciated, thanks!

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

https://ripstopbytheroll.com/products/membrane-silpoly

silpoly is 0.93 oz/yd2 finished weight

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

Locale: Minnesota

http://www.rockywoods.com/Fabrics-Kits/Ultra-Lightweight-Fabrics/7D-Ultralight-Coated-Ripstop-Nylon-Fabric

“0.7oz yd2 7 Denier Ultralight Coated Ripstop Nylon Fabric

It is coated with silicone on one side and polyurethane on the other. The polyurethane side is tapeable or you can use Seam Grip on it if you want to seal seams or thread holes. The silicone side is the slicker side. while the PU side is a bit sticker.

The waterproof coatings on this ultralight ripstop nylon make it rated at 1500mm H<sub>2</sub>O or a bit more than 2psi, almost 5 feet of water. Break strength is 1.2 lbf in the Warp and 2.5 lbf in the Weft.”

This I believe is the lightest option available that isn’t cuben.

-Tim

Ryan P. Murphy
    BPL Member

@rmurphy

Locale: Virginia

+1 for what Tim said. The Rockywoods 7 denier fabric is super light AND packs smaller than cuben of  a similar weight. I’ve been pretty impressed by it.

One weird thing about it is that it gets “sticky”. When I unpack the poncho tarp I made with it, the poly coated side is frequently “stuck” together. It’s not actually stuck and doesn’t really feel sticky to the touch, just “grabby”. Kind of like intense static cling but without the attraction element. So once you pull it apart it’s not trying to re-stick.

Edit to add: Silpoly, while not as light, is easier to work with though may not be as strong (?)

R
    Spectator

@autox

Polyester isn’t as strong as nylon, but it doesn’t absorb (as much?) water or stretch when wet the way nylon does.  This means a polyester shelter won’t sag from due/rain over night.

Rockywoods 7D has a pretty good coating and is reported to sag less than other nylons.  I haven’t made anything with it, but did order a sample and my crude bathroom scale testing said it was good for ~15 lb/in tensile strength, and my gram scale says it weighs 0.8 osy.  For reference, I think 30D nylon is good for ~30 lb/in.

The lightest non-Cuben people make tarps from is polycro, which weighs about the same as half ounce Cuben, pending thickness.  But I’ve only ever seen flat tarps made from it – not something shaped like the Deschutes.

Andrea C
    BPL Member

@andreagattonero

I’ve been considering Polycro for a minimal tarp to be used with a bicycle put upside-down on the ground as support.
    The reason I didn’t go further the beta-test made with Tyvek scraps, is that Polycro is very good as far as strength but tears VERY easy. I’m not willing to take that risk on a tarp that is kept on a good amount of tension. As groundsheet is ok, because the worst could be a puncture and is easy to mend with Gaffer tape before it spreads, but a tarp is a different scenario.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools