Topic

Lightest WPB Bivy Bag

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Lightest WPB Bivy Bag

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Tom K
    BPL Member

@tom-kirchneraol-com-2

I’ve been out of the market for a long time, and am interested in recommendations for the lightest WPB bivy bag currently available.  All input accepted.

Thanks

Tom Kirchner

Jim Morrison
    Spectator

@pliny

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Tom,   It will be interesting to see what shows up here.  A year or so ago 4 of us went up to climb The Moose, a local bump in the Olympics.  We set up a camp the first night, a bivy on a high ridge.  It blew all night and I had my old Gortex bivy bag and did fine.  My friends all had lightweight bivy bags and agreed that they didn’t work well in the wind; that mine was a better arrangement.  So I suppose it depends on the amount of exposure you expect.

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

I have and use the Borah Gear Snowyside E vent bivy. I have used it plenty of times and in winter exposed in heavy storm. Unfortunately they do not sell them anymore. I am glad that I purchased 2 of them when they were available.  Sorry I can’t answer your question. I don’t think its the lightest bivy out there, but I do know it works well and I am happy with it.

Chris K
    BPL Member

@cmkannen-2-2

One of the lightest is the MSR Pro Bivy at 10 oz.

Otherwise I think you’re looking at the MLD event bivy, or some UK and European brands.

I picked up the MSR last year and like that it doesn’t zip up. But my bag is also zipperless and I used it in the winter. So no bugs to contend with.

J-L
    BPL Member

@johnnyh88

I think the MSR Pro Bivy is the lightest option right now. Then the MLD eVent bivy and the Outdoor Research Helium bivy. The Miles Gear Pico bivy is heavier, but another option too. Locus Gear used to make their Pneuma eVent bivy, but I don’t see it on their website anymore. They might build one as a custom option.

Tom K
    BPL Member

@tom-kirchneraol-com-2

Thanks for the input, guys.  Now I’ve got some beta to work from.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

I’ve had the MLD eVent bivy for getting on close to ten years now.  I’ll occasionally take it as a stand alone shelter- it breathes decently (as decent as can be expected for full waterproofness).  It definitely cuts the wind well and does add some warmth to your sleep system.  At 12 oz, it’s pretty light.  Now that I own a 17 oz shelter that has full bug netting, a bathtub floor, room to sit up and a good sized vestibule, it goes a lot less often :)

I do however use it more in the winter though with snow shelters.  No substitute for that scenario.

Tom K
    BPL Member

@tom-kirchneraol-com-2

Thanks, Mike.  I have a Z-Packs Sol Plex that weighs ~17 oz with stakes, and was hoping to find a bare bones solution with a side zip somewhere around 8 oz for a very specific purpose.  From what I’m seeing here, it’s looking like I will stick with my tent.  The minimal weight saving just doesn’t justify all the downsides of a bivy for three season situations.

Monte Masterson
    BPL Member

@septimius

Locale: Southern Indiana

I’ve been using the Montbell Breeze Dry-Tec WPB Sleeping Bag Cover in size Long/Wide for years and I find it functions quite well. Weighs 8.3 oz, however the Regular is 6.3 oz and the Regular/Wide weighs 7.6 oz. The Long/Wide is VERY roomy and will accommodate a 20 degree bag with someone under say 200 lbs. Problem with many sleeping bag covers is that they’re too restrictive. https://www.montbell.us/products/disp.php?cat_id=14007&p_id=1121328

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools