Topic

Lightest Weight Timepiece with an Alarm

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Lightest Weight Timepiece with an Alarm

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    John Hillyer
    BPL Member

@trnamelucky

<p style=”text-align: right;”>I am looking for the lightest weight timepeace with an alarm. If it’s a watch I will take off the band. Normally I wake up at first light and go, but if I am in an area where the snow gets shitty in the afternoon I will want to start my day in the in the middle of the night and for that I will need an alarm. I have a cell phone but I will not have enough power to keep it on all the time. Recommendations?</p>

Dan
    BPL Member

@dan-s

Locale: Colorado

I guess this will not answer your question, but I find it helpful to have a watch for various reasons, so I wear a G-shock 5600. I imagine that it’s one or two ounces, but it’s not significant to me on my wrist.

Bob Kerner
    BPL Member

@bob-kerner

Timex Ironman? The smaller version that sells for around $30-40. Alarm and timer. I use the timer for cooking in case I get distracted doing other camp chores. I’m sure you could get something really tiny but then working the controls or seeing the time would be inconvenient

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Depending on your age and associated high frequency hearing loss you might not be able to hear the subtle high pitch of a basic small watch.

“Try before you buy.”

Adam Kilpatrick
    BPL Member

@oysters

Locale: South Australia

even when I was younger the alarms in watches are only good at waking me up if I’m in the process of waking up anyway

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

Alarm on phone will work even in airplane mode.  My phone in airplane mode, even using it to take photos and shoot videos will last a solid 2 or 3 days before it needs a charge.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

^^^

In OP –

“I have a cell phone but I will not have enough power to keep it on all the time. “

Erica R
    BPL Member

@erica_rcharter-net

Some watches are really frustrating to program.

I find this light weight watch is easy to use:

There are different colors

The alarm is loud enough for me

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

@Greg. Thanks for pointing that out.. About OP. I saw that.. But figured I would throw it out there. Some people don’t realize their alarm will still work while in Airplane mode. And like I said.. My phone lasts up to 3 days without shutting it off and I use it to take many pictures and LOTS of videos.. In airplane mode. Alas.. The OP did not state the length or duration of said trips… So throwing it out there just in case…

Bob K
    BPL Member

@seventy2002

Casio W800H-1AV. $20  Mine weighs 36 grams with band.

Dan
    BPL Member

@dan-s

OK, this is not a serious suggestion, but since this thread is overlapping with my other hobby, this is my favorite alarm watch. It has been waking people up for nearly 60 years, and no batteries required.  ;-)

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

You didn’t say loudest alarm. This might be the lightest. 20.7 grams with the strap.

Casio Men’s Classic Quartz Watch with Resin Strap, Black (Model: F-91WM-1BCF) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07C9F8XLL/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_vjjLFbCTPDZ63?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools