Topic

Lightest weight baselayer pants?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Lightest weight baselayer pants?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Yoyo
    Spectator

@dgposton

Locale: NYC metro

I have a pair of Underarmour Base 1.0 leggings that weigh in at 3.25 oz for a men’s medium.  However, they are a bit tight–designed for running, I think.  I’m concerned they might constrict circulation as they feel “cool” when I put them on.

Anyone have favorites?  I’m thinking sub-4 oz baselayer pants.

I noticed that Patagonia Cap 1 are advertised as being 3.4 oz:

http://www.patagonia.com/us/product/mens-capilene-lightweight-bottoms?p=45681-0

Is that an accurate claimed weight?

Ryan Smith
    BPL Member

@violentgreen

Locale: East TN

I have some silk leggings in the 2oz range which are surprisingly warm *for their weight*. I highlight that portion only to say that they offer very little warmth, but I don’t expect anything weighing 2oz to have much insulating effect.

Ryan

Valerie E
    Spectator

@wildtowner

Locale: Grand Canyon State

I agree with Ryan — even in a women’s M, anything lighter than 4-6 oz is of dubious value.  My favourite are my Polartec Powerstretch leggings (warm! soft!), but they’re about 6 oz.

Yoyo
    Spectator

@dgposton

Locale: NYC metro

Well, I decided to go ahead and pick up the Patagonia Cap 1’s today at the store.  I was pleasantly surprised at the weight–a men’s small weighs only 3.14 oz!  Did they redesign these?  I like the fit of the Cap 1’s better than the Underarmour stuff, since it’s not so tight.  The fabric feels nice too.  I’m hoping this will become my go-to layer for summer backpacking in the mountains down to the 30s/40s.  For stuff around freezing and below, I’ll probably go with my Smartwool microweight bottoms (just over 5 oz).

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

Yes they redesigned the fabric recently, much better. I don’t think those will provide all that much warmth but they will give you something clean to change into at night.

John Mc
    BPL Member

@retiredjohn

Locale: PNW

I’m bringing this back to life.   I’m looking for the lightest base layer set for having something clean to sleep in.

What are your suggestions.  The Patagonia Capilene LW’s are looking good.  What else is out there?

Murali C
    BPL Member

@mchinnak

Men’s Copperfield wind pants at 1.35 oz from Enlightened E.

Haven’t used it yet – but, like you I just wanted something clean to sleep in for the night. This seems to be the lightest.

Christopher *
    Spectator

@cfrey-0

Locale: US East Coast

On this topic does anyone know of a bottom made from the 85g/m Polartec Alpha Direct?

I recently got a MacPac Nitro pullover and an now looking for a similarly simple set of bottoms from the same material. Would seem to fit the bill for OP as well if such an animal exists.

thanks!

Pedestrian
    BPL Member

@pedestrian

These from Costco are an excellent value as a not very warm but great base layer leggings for sleeping in. I use them under shorts for running/hiking in rainy/chilly weather in the 30s and low 40s.

They also carry long and short sleeve shirts in the same material.

Can’t go wrong for under $15 for a two-pack.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools