Topic

lightest solar panel

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) lightest solar panel

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Russell Lawson
    BPL Member

@lawson

Locale: Olympic Mts.

lixada 10watt
    3.56 mono panel

Was looking at suntastic s5 5watt but today it went from $99 to $200+ 3rd party vendor.

Also stumbled on a 18watt battery trickle charger for 12.5oz but that includes gatorclips and its 11″x18″ kind of awkward

Russell Lawson
    BPL Member

@lawson

Locale: Olympic Mts.
    Bob Shuff
    BPL Member

@slbear

Locale: SoCal

For this price it’s easy to buy and try.  Curious about water resistance.  The USB port would need to be protected in any case.  Same for Suntactics.

For lighter weight panel there’s powerfilm.  $$$.. They don’t have the small form factor USB power output, so you might get to the same weight.  I have a feeling you get what you pay for.

Bob Shuff
    BPL Member

@slbear

On second check those are a lot lighter

Kief H
    BPL Member

@kief

Locale: Eastside Sierra, Downeast Maine

Russell, you can buy an S5 directly from Suntactics for $117.95 through their eBay storefront. Shipping is included in that price.

I’ve been using one of their S8s on long trips for quite a while and it’s reliably fast at charging and quite rugged to boot.

Valerie E
    Spectator

@wildtowner

Locale: Grand Canyon State

Newegg has the s5 for $99.95 right now — free shipping.

Mark Fowler
    BPL Member

@kramrelwof

Locale: Namadgi

I have a panel very similar to the lixada – claimed to be 6.5W, like most they are very unlikely to achieve their rated output.  That said they are cheap, light and work well.  Mine puts out between 800mA and 1000mA at 109 grams and happily charges my phone, steripen, and headlamp. Cost about $20 from BangGood https://www.banggood.com/6_5W-5V-Solar-Panel-USB-Charger-Semi-flexible-Portable-Solar-30_3x15_3cm-p-1278903.html?rmmds=search&cur_warehouse=CN

The weight on the BangGood site is in packaging.

Valerie E
    Spectator

@wildtowner

Locale: Grand Canyon State

I received the Lixada Solar Panel 10W last night, and tried it out this morning at 11am in full-strength Southern Arizona sun (hot enough to fry an egg).  Verdict:  COMPLETE FAIL.

I don’t know what the problem is, but it just doesn’t work.  I tried charging a Kindle I had lying around, and after 1hr:  Zero; after 1.5hrs:  Zilch.  Gave up.  Used the same Kindle with the same charging cable inside the house, and it charged up like a champ.

I’d LOVE to get something lighter than my Suntactics 5 (which works beautifully), but This. Ain’t. It.

@kramrelwof
    — Mark, if you see this, what is the weight of your panel (not in packaging)?

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

First, it is not a 10 watt panel, but the issue usually is the panel does not put out the minimum wattage needed to charge the device. That is why those lower watt panels are used to charge a battery first. Then the battery is used to charge your device(s).

Buck Nelson
    BPL Member

@colter

Locale: Alaska

I think the Suntactics chargers are still the backpacking standard. I use chargers a lot backpacking and it’s always the Suntactics charger. For boating where weight doesn’t matter I sometimes carry a bigger one.

Jim C
    BPL Member

@jimothy

Locale: Georgia, USA

Whatever became of the Enerplex Kickr FL, which was supposed to be out last year and claimed to be the lightest solar panel? Is the company still around?

Mike J
    BPL Member

@mikejones3-2

I have used the Goal Zero by Nomad and really liked it. I used it on my High Sierra Trail Trip and it worked like a champ when I wasn’t under tree cover.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools