Topic

Lightest possible spinning reel

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Fishing & Tenkara Lightest possible spinning reel

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Monte Masterson
    BPL Member

@septimius

Locale: Southern Indiana

I bought this Quantum XTR-05 a few years back. It was pretty cheap. Weighs 5.5 oz with line. I’m looking for something lighter. Any suggestions? I  suppose a spincast would work too, if it has a functional drag. Thanks.

David Noll
    BPL Member

@dpnoll

Locale: Maroon Bells

Monte, try a site called Finesse-Fishing.Com. Chris sells high end ultralight Japanese spinning gear. He also has the site called TenkaraBum. His service is incredible. I call him the “Great Enabler”.

Monte Masterson
    BPL Member

@septimius

Thanks David. I like Chris’s website and the way he thoroughly explains the differences in philosophy between Japanese and American anglers, and manufacturers. I guess it’s not surprising that the XXXX [edited by moderator, please don’t use ethnic slurs on BPL] are way ahead of everybody else when it comes to ultralight fishing gear, much like they are with automobiles and anything else mechanical.

I really like the Shimano Soare CI4 + 500s. Weighs 4.9 oz and that’s about as light as it gets for spinning reels. I can’t afford the price at the moment, but I might just save up for it because as is the case with backpacking gear, better to cough up the dough for what you really need the first time.

I’m not wanting the reel for just trout, but for a lot of stream species such as Smallmouth Bass, Catfish, Drum and many others. I need something that can whip a big fish. As you can see in the video below, this guy is catching 7 lb plus fish with the Soare CI4 + 500s…amazing!

YouTube video

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

“I guess it’s not surprising that the XXXX are way ahead of everybody else…”

I love Japanese reels for both fresh and saltwater but now I’m more intrigued by the use of the term “XXXX” in this thread.  I thought that slur was long dead, go figure.

[cleaning things up – MK]

Monte Masterson
    BPL Member

@septimius

Sorry, it’s short for Nipponese. Nobody has more respect for the Japanese than I do, I even work for them. The company is Nifco for Nipponese fabrication company, Didn’t mean to offend. I’ll ask some Japanese if the term “XXXX” is considered (by them) to be a slur.

Gabe P
    BPL Member

@gabe

That’s a racial slur. It’s an abbreviation for Nippon – which doesn’t make it acceptable to use. It’s a racial slur.  Don’t use it – period. You should delete your original post

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

small enough?

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

David Sugeno
    BPL Member

@davesugeno

Locale: Central Texas

Yes, XXXX is a racial slur (I’m Japanese-American).  Doesn’t bother me at all (I’m not easily offended), but you definitely should not use this word, ever.

Gabe P
    BPL Member

@gabe

I just now reported the post again by clicking on the “report” link above the post.

Monte Masterson
    BPL Member

@septimius

Gabe, if I delete the post now the subsequent replies won’t make sense. I didn’t know the term was offensive. I was only trying to compliment the Japanese on their engineering expertise. I’m a dinosaur for crying out loud.

I apologize for anything I said that’s not acceptable. Quite honestly the list of terms that are offensive is so long that it’s hard to keep track of them all. Perhaps a handbook called “PC For Old White Guys” might be a good thing.

Come to think of it I heard the term when I was a child growing up listening to GI’s who had fought in the Pacific campaign. Guess I should have known a term used for enemy combatants might not be the best to use. Honest mistake.

Another mistake is being too unforgiving and rigid toward people who in their everyday actions are fair and inclusive to those of all backgrounds, even if such individuals mistakenly use a term that offends, and then apologizes for using that word.

Ryan Jordan
    Admin

@ryan

Locale: Central Rockies

This thread is a great example where some self-moderation of the community can be accomplished with a reasonable understanding of and respect for each other.

Monte’s replies seem reasonable to us as moderators, we’ve been discussing this thread offline in our slack channel.

Bottom line: do not use slurs attached to someone’s nationality regardless of their cultural history or context. They are offensive, racist, and don’t foster community.

I read a great quote today from a friend of mine:

“In 2019, I’m not accepting apologies. Only changed behavior.”

Gabe P
    BPL Member

@gabe

Monte, I’m an old white man too and I am not and did not accuse you of being racist.  I just made clear that the term you used was a racist term and that you should remove your post, even if doing so would make this thread make less sense to future readers. I still feel that way

Ryan, like Twitter, websites like this are megaphones and as the owner of that megaphone, I believe that you have a responsibility to ensure it is used appropriately. I feel the same way about Twitter and Facebook and yet their CEOs seem to think like you do. Meanwhile, their megaphones are being used by a myriad of bad actors to subvert our democracy and promote all kinds of destructive movements within our society. It’s dissapointing.

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

“Another mistake is being too unforgiving and rigid toward people who in their everyday actions are fair and inclusive to those of all backgrounds, even if such individuals mistakenly use a term that offends, and then apologizes for using that word.”

I would agree with that Monte.

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

Time to think spring here in the bitter cold midwest. Wish I had one of these reels when I was a little

tyke 

Ben H.
    BPL Member

@bzhayes

Locale: No. Alabama

I agree with Gabe.  Why are racist terms still running throughout this thread?  If there was another more common racist ‘N’ word all over the place would the mods do something about it?  Just replace the terms with some XXX’s and that will leave the context.  Monte’s half-hearted apology without making an effort to fix the thread hardly lives up to “changed behavior.”

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

Moderator here. I noticed the thread the first time it was reported and we began to discuss it in Slack. Speaking for myself here, I’m disinclined to sanitize posts that include intolerant speech. I’d rather other members know who they are dealing with and what was said rather than cleaning it up for the person using intolerant language.

I’m extremely busy at the moment (new job, first year HS teacher) but I intend to draft some kind of addition to our forum guidelines to address this issue. If my addition to the guidelines is approved I want to quote it in instances like this so that people know the moderation team is aware of the instance, watching and why we haven’t edited the post.

Gabe P
    BPL Member

@gabe

I would like to better understand this. If I were to cuss on this site, the offending term would be removed, right? How is a racial slur not similar in that it is a word that deeply offends a broad swath of the world’s population?  Please also help me understand how your reasoning for allowing racial slurs on BPL (I.e., “I’d rather members know who they dealing with”) does not also apply to a post in which there is a cuss word, or explicit adult material?

I also noticed in the posting guidelines that vulgar language, profanity and explicit material intended for an adult audience are not allowed. Please help me understand why from your perspective – the perspective of BPL leadership since you are all talking about this – a racist term is not considered vulgar (I.e., lacking sophistication or good taste) or profane (I.e., treat something sacred with irreverence or disrespect). Are not human beings sacred?

Please also consider that advertisers are increasingly distancing themselves from our society’s more self destructive behaviors like racism, sexism and the destruction of the environment. Would Patagonia, REI and Columbia continue to advertise here were they to know that as a company BPL allows racists terms to be published on the BPL forum, which is open to the public, including to children? From my perspective, just like a cuss word, use of a racial slur is when someone crosses the line from a conversation to an offense. I think you (the leaders of BPL) should reconsider allowing your online megaphone (I.e., the forums), to contain offending language. I understand that an open conversation about controversial topics that  does not include offending terms (terms our society recognizes as offensive) is quite different.

I think your current policy regarding racial slurs is unwise from a business perspective and from a human perspective.

Pleas help me understand. I am not a hall monitor, or a PC police offer, just a lifetime member who has really enjoyed this site  – and find myself baffled and dissapointed.

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

+1 Gabe, I am editing my response after the moderators finally made the correct decision to remove the racist slur from the thread. Thank You

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

I can’t speak for the ownership.

Personally, I am extremely critical of intolerant speech and viewpoints. My question is this:

Would it be better for me to delete the word that was used or for ten people to speak out about it? Which outcome would be more instructive to the person that used that term? My feeling is that the latter is preferable. I’d rather hear dozens of voices saying that it is not ok.

Regarding Gabe’s point about advertisers, I would think advertisers would feel good about a community that speaks out and educates people. I could be wrong.

I think it might be time to have a larger discussion about this topic in another thread. I’m going to lock this thread down for now. I’ll start a new conversation this evening about the larger topic (intolerance) rather than having this thread about fishing gear derail further. Ryan or Roger can open this thread back up if they disagree with my action.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • The topic ‘Lightest possible spinning reel’ is closed to new replies.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools