Topic

Lightest in camp/sleeping pants?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums SuperUltraLight (SUL) Backpacking Discussion Lightest in camp/sleeping pants?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Adam Salinger
    BPL Member

@asalinger

Hi All….

Looking for ideas that are out there about pants that could be not only durable enough to wear in camp…but also comfy enough to sleep in on colder nights.  Don’t want something to tight..more looking for a possible slim fitting super light fleece….

Ideas??

Adam Kilpatrick
    BPL Member

@oysters

Locale: South Australia

You posted this in the SUL forum…is that your intention?

Do you have a weight limit in mind? Temperatures?

Do they need to be full length pants? Or are shorts, skirts, kilts an option?

Bob Moulder
    BPL Member

@bobmny10562

Locale: Westchester County, NY

Something like the Patagonia Houdini pants?

Combine with some silk-weight long johns and running shorts for a versatile, lightweight combo.

Paul S.
    BPL Member

@pschontz

Locale: PNW

Since you mentioned fleece, Patagonia thermal tights should fit the bill.

John Vance
    BPL Member

@servingko

Locale: Intermountain West

The lightest would be a pair of nylon wind pants.  I don’t like my skin against the nylon for sleeping so the next readily available would be some silk long bottoms that may be only slightly more in weight than wind pants.  The Patagonia lightweight base bottoms are in the 4oz range (med) and quite comfortable for sleeping.  Depending on night temps, a combination of base layer and wind pants works well and is what I take.  I rarely camp in temps above 45-50f and push a light quilt to the mid 20’s and typically sleep in both base layers and wind shirt and pants.

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

If you don’t mind women’s fleece Walmart’s CUDDL DUDS are cheap($6.19-$14.99) and the medium pants weigh 3.7oz and top is 4.7oz. I first heard about them on Heather “Anish” Anderson’s gear list when she set the unsupported speed record for the AT.

Brian Lindahl
    BPL Member

@lindahlb

Locale: Colorado Rockies

I have some silk pajama leggings that come in around 2oz. Throw your (hike/rain/wind) pants on top if you need durability?

R
    Spectator

@autox

Re. Cuddl Duds – any input on sizing?

I’m 6’2″, 180, broad shoulders.  Tape measure says I’m a large.  Does their sizing chart work for you?

Graham F
    BPL Member

@02174424

Locale: Victoria-Southeast Australia

Colorful Waterproof Rain Pants MTB Mountain Cycling Trousers Breathable Pants.

I have the grey, weigh about 90 gms, both stretchy and waterproofish. Running under the tap no water came through- no air will permeate. But perfect at end of day to keep warm or wind out if it’s windy.

https://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2047675.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.TRS0&_nkw=Colorful+Waterproof+Rain+Pants+MTB+Mountain+Cycling+Trousers+Breathable+Pants&_sacat=0

Funny, they don’t look as ugly as you might expect.

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

If you don’t mind women’s fleece Walmart’s CUDDL DUDS are cheap($6.19-$14.99) and the medium pants weigh 3.7oz and top is 4.7oz. I first heard about them on Heather “Anish” Anderson’s gear list when she set the unsupported speed record for the AT.

Do tell more?  I am not above wearing womens fleece.  Currently my Cap 4 pants are around 5oz.  Is this like 100wt style fleece or thinner than that?

Back to the OP’s question, I think the current Patagonia lightweight Cap bottoms are 3.4oz and I have an old pair of BPL wool bottoms that are 3.6oz.  Neither would be very warm, but might be what you are looking for.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools