Topic

Lightest bug and ground support for 2 in an 8'x10' Tarp

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Lightest bug and ground support for 2 in an 8'x10' Tarp

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Thomas E
    Spectator

@nimrad

Locale: Norway

Just ordered a cuben fibre flat tarp from Trekkertent which will mainly be used as an extension for my tent.

I would, however, also like the possibility to sleep only in the tarp. For me alone, I already have equipment for bug protection, so what I am looking for is some sort of “inner tent” or bug protection with a floor that would fit both me and my wife. The tarp is, as I mentioned in the title, 8 by 10 feet.

My first thought is something like a Tyvek bathtub groundsheet with a mesh bug protection. Is there something like this?

Michael
    BPL Member

@tjayblues

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

Robert Alexander
    BPL Member

@robmalexander

Locale: Atlanta

@nimrad you can use a polycryo ground sheet and draped netting like a Sea to Summit Duo Insect Shield Pyramid netting for the lightest option. Otherwise the Mountain Laurel Designs Serenity Shelter Duo in .74oz cuben floor is about the lightest you can get.

I suggest you try out the STS before going to the field (as always) because it’s not really ideal. The marketing photo makes it look more attractive/roomy than it truly is, at least to me. If you go to a big box retailer then you can return it. Note that the MLD new tent is custom so no returns but I’ve purchased a good bit from them without ever an issue.

Final note about the competing net tents mentioned: they weigh more due in part to the 1oz cuben floor and that may worth it to you from a durability standpoint.

Thomas E
    Spectator

@nimrad

Thanks for the different examples. Anybody know if the tarp could be pitched entirely to the ground with this one underneath? Maybe I have to refresh my geometry.

Michael
    BPL Member

@tjayblues

Thomas … that schematic you posted looks like those from BearPaw Wilderness Designs.

A word of warning, proceed with caution … a brief search on BPL will yield several (and recent) threads about the disturbing quality of the product and customer service. I would look elsewhere.

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

Since Trekkertent makes an inner why not contact them and I am sure they could answer your question about their inner and tarp fit.

Thomas E
    Spectator

@nimrad

@tjayblues Thanks for the heads up. I stumbled upon them in an older thread, and there were only positive comments on them there. Guess I’ll proceed with caution if I decide to try them out.

@annapurna
    I have contacted Trekkertent already and asked about it. Their inner tents were made specifically for tents, but if they will make some extra rain protection in the short ends I will definitely buy from them (suuuper service when ordering the tarp).

Michael
    BPL Member

@tjayblues

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools