Topic

Lightest bedroom down pillow

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Lightest bedroom down pillow

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Gary Pikovsky
    BPL Member

@gosha007

Locale: New Hampshire White Mountains

After years of trying to find the lightest and most comfortable pillow and trying literally hundreds of backpacking pillow I’m back to square one – using a regular home down pillow. What’s the lightest bedroom down pillow you know of that has enough fill for side sleepers.

J R
    BPL Member

@jringeorgia

What’s the problem you’re facing that you’ve tried so many pillows and haven’t found satisfaction? I’m a side sleeper and the problem I have with a down pillow is that one of its main advantages works against me — it compresses so easily that my head sinks in too deep and it doesn’t support me properly. That true for me even with home down pillows. At home my solution is to stuff two down pillows into one pillowcase so that the down is already somewhat compacted. On the trail I use a Monkey Pillow case, an inflatable FlexAir pillow inside on the bottom and I stuff my down puffy in on top of that, which again keeps the down somewhat compacted so I don’t sink into it as much. I know this isn’t a direct answer to the question of lightest home down pillow, but I’m not sure what problem you’re trying to solve.

jared h
    BPL Member

@thundore

i agree with J R…down compresses a lot for side sleeping. try putting something under it–inflatable pillow, jacket, pack–or maybe trying a synthetic pillow.

if you want down, goosefeet gear has a down pillow with different size/fill options, or try calling feathered friends to see if they will overstuff a geoduck pillow. only places i know and have used that might work.

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

Maybe one of the cottage manufactures that deal with down could make you something custom (ultralight fabric)?

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

Lightest and cheaper “down” pillow:  dumpster-dive in a  low-rent neighborhood.  Scavenge a wine-in-box box (Almaden and Gallo are some of the more “prestigious” brands). Remove the bladder.  Put a piece of down in it.  Deflate for packing.  Inflate for use.  Doubles as a 4-liter platy for about $22.95 less.  Or as a 4-liter Dromedary for $39.95 less.

Inflate/deflate until you get the squishiness/firmness you want.

If you want a surface that isn’t HDPE, put a t-shirt, fleece pullover or micro-fiber towel over it.

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

. HERE is member Tom Willard’s favorite gear of 2016 one of his picks is a pillow(it’s not down though)that he uses because he is a side sleeper with big shoulders.

MJ H
    BPL Member

@mjh

Let’s not insult everybody who drinks wine from a box.  It’s a perfectly reasonable thing to do even if you aren’t in a low rent neighborhood.

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

Ryan Jordan is a side sleeper and reviews some in this ARTICLE if you haven’t read it and many members tell what works for them in the comments.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools