Topic

Lighter weight headband material for Black Diamond Spot

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums SuperUltraLight (SUL) Backpacking Discussion Lighter weight headband material for Black Diamond Spot

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    chris smead
    BPL Member

@hamsterfish

Locale: San Jose, CA

I know some people here have replaced the elastic bands on their headlamps.  Does anyone have a link to the material they used?  Seems like an easy place to lose an ounce.

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

Window walker
    Spectator

@2-2-2

Most would think black diamond spot is too heavy in the first place for SUL, but who cares right? I use a 9 gram aaa flashlight clipped to the bill of my hat for SUL trips.

Bob Moulder
    BPL Member

@bobmny10562

Locale: Westchester County, NY

The BD Spot’s elastic headband weighs 18.7g so it won’t be an ounce. But if you can replace it with something that weighs 2-3 grams it’ll be worth it. Also less bulk.

Ben, I also use something lighter when the SUL mood strikes, which is the Photon Freedom with the hat clip, or the Petzl e+lite. Plenty for me for this time of year when nights are short.

I’m something of a Petzl fan, E+lite and Tikka Plus, but must grudgingly admit that the BD Spot has some features I really like.

Bob Moulder
    BPL Member

@bobmny10562

Locale: Westchester County, NY

NM………….. double post……..

Window walker
    Spectator

@2-2-2

You know Bob, the photon freedom has been on my radar I maight give it a shot some day. True about the shorter days not needing much light.  For the times I do night hiking I like to use my Zebralight, and a lighter head band would be nice.  I haven’t read the thread mentioned above, but I do remember some one retrofitting a head band from a princeton tech headlamp that was much lighter. But now tha ti use a billed hat, I can most likely go headband less with the Zebralight and clip that to my hat as well.  Never been interested in the elite for some reason.  The spot does intrigue me though.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools