Topic

Light weight, highly insulated beverage or food container.

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Light weight, highly insulated beverage or food container.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

?

Anonymous
    Inactive

Received the bamboo container today. Weighs 6.9 oz for a fairly large volume capacity. About 7″ tall, and inner diameter is about 3.25″ or so (haven’t measured it exactly yet, going more by the product description).

Quality somewhat lacking–I’ll take pics and show tomorrow more what I mean.

I’m going to do a few things to it. On the outside, it will be treated with some epoxy and thin fiberlgass, and over that and the main body will be a thin EVA foam.  On top and bottom will be epoxied on, thick EVA foam for both insulation and protection.

Inside will be lined with food grade silicone which will come up over the lip.

Then a goose down+IR reflector cozy with WP inner and breathable outer fabric is be made to wrap around it.

Then it will be tested against a vacuum insulated thermos of similar volume capacity.  Also will be dropped while full to see how it does.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Some pics of the bottle. As you can see, there’s a part of the lip that is pretty thin and a bit chipped.  I plan to sand it down a bit, and when I treat it with silicone, will add extra there.  This would become the natural sip out of area once sanded down + extra silicone.

Cap for the bottle:  There is a definite gap there towards the top, but nothing some extra silicone can’t fix.

Did more exact measurements.  It is 6.5″ deep, and about 3.75″ at the widest part of the inner diameter, and about 3.25″ at the least wide part of the inner diameter.  Obviously it is not perfectly round on the inside.

The quality could be a bit better, but it’s a natural product and it will work, and once it’s reinforced, it will be plenty strong and durable enough.

The original idea was to use balsa wood as a core, but a fully made bamboo container with lid for 10 dollars cuts down a lot on time/work.  The balsa definitely would have been a bit lighter (and is fairly insulating in and of itself), but being definitely more fragile, would have required more reinforcement.

As mentioned, the principle insulation will be goose down. Some EVA foam + IR reflector will contribute. EVA foam will do double duty as permanent insulation, and extra protection.  2 to 3 mm EVA foam around the main body, and .5″ on the bottom and top of the cap.  One of the tests will be to fill it up with water, and drop it from a step ladder onto concrete to see what happens–obviously without the goose down cozy on it.

I wonder if any local Asian food markets or the like, would sell any of these kinds of containers?  I don’t recollect seeing one at our local, larger store, but it’s worth double checking.

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

<div class=”even bbp-parent-forum-1215586 bbp-parent-topic-3539873 bbp-reply-position-66 user-id-79267 post-3594961 reply type-reply status-publish entry”>
    <div class=”bbp-reply-content”>

https://www.sfsalt.com/bamboo-canisters

https://www.japanbargain.com/large-bamboo-canister-with-lid-5-3×7-5in/

https://www.sfsalt.com/bamboo-canisters

https://www.dhgate.com/product/handmade-box-bamboo-storage-box-canister/416893824.html

</div>
    </div>
    <div id=”post-3594976″ class=”bbp-reply-header”></div>

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thanks for the links/pics Dan.

Some notes/observations:

The first link. I checked the entire site, and could not find a way to actually purchase said bamboo containers or even look at their price, size, availability, etc.

The 2nd link. Looks like a good quality, and while the price is decent, with shipping, it’s about twice of what I paid.

3rd link appears to be the exact same as the 1st.

4th link, similar prices and very similar designs as the one I purchased–just options for bulk buying. Of course in the model pics, they only show the closer to perfect ones.

I’m half tempted to just go to Craig’s list and find someone locally that wants to get rid of some bamboo and find some thick arse pieces and buy a few poles. I know a little something about working with and treating bamboo already.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools