Topic

Lifetime pass for veterans

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Lifetime pass for veterans

Viewing 2 posts - 26 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

I believe the easiest option is to get “Veteran” added to your driver’s license.  The DMV requires a DD-214 to get the endorsement, but then you no longer have to carry hardcopy or a scan of this document nor a separate Veteran’s ID card.

I didn’t know this. Mr. Google says the law was passed in 2015 for California. Although the steps aren’t as easy as I think it should be.

• Take your DD214 to a CalVet Office and get a verification form.
    • Bring this verificationform to a DMV office.
    • Pay $5

Going to the DMV has always been a hassle, although the last time I went for a renewal (2019) it was actually pretty quick and efficient, so things are changing for the better. If I have to renew my license in person (2024) then I’ll probably do this. The closest CalVet office is about 20 miles from my house. If I get to renew by mail, as I usually do, then it isn’t worth the the time invested to get the endorsement.

Lowell Mills
    BPL Member

@farmhand357

Going in person for the “Veteran” endorsement is also when I got the REAL ID star added to my driver’s license.  You have to bring all kinds of verification info for that anyway, so I got all the hassles out of the way at the same time.  When I lived in CA, you could make a DMV appointment instead of just walking in, so that saved some time…

Viewing 2 posts - 26 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools