Topic

Liberty Ridge wind pants

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Liberty Ridge wind pants

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Matthew Reese
    BPL Member

@bradktn

http://thru-hiker.com/kits/lr_pants_kit.php

Anyone have experience making a pair of these? Are the suitable for a first sewing project? I’m thinking of leaving off the ankle zips and adding a couple of simple cargo pockets on the thighs. Not so moch to hike with but for wandering around after getting to camp with a camera and maybe a fleece hat. Is there a “pattern” for a cargo pocket? As you can tell, I’m a complete beginner when it comes to sewing. I did inherit a good sewing machine from my mother, though I’ve never used it. Thanks.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

I’ve ordered fabric from thru-hiker.  They have the best materials.  Good advice on email or phone.  Excellent articles on web site.  I don’t know about their kits though.

I put cargo pockets on my pants.  Easy.  Get measurements from a similar pocket on some other pants.  You have to be careful sewing them on to make them evenly placed.

Fleece hat is easy.  Notice that most fleece is stretchier in one direction – you want that to go around your head.  First sew straight on one side to make a tube and if it’s too loose, sew another row of stitches closer…  Then sew a rounded top.  Then cut fleece 1/4″ from row of stitches.  Fleece doesn’t unravel so you don’t have to finish the seam.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools