Topic

Leukotape Source

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Leukotape Source

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

I just purchased Leukotape from Amazon and was surprised to see that it came with a ~2mm zigzag cut edge. I’m guessing this makes it easier to rip by hand in a PT scenario but I’m concerned this will cause it to roll off, particularly when (carefully) pulling socks over it.

Can anyone give me a source or link for Leukotape with a smooth, straight edge that you have purchased from recently?

John B
    BPL Member

@jnb0216

Locale: western Colorado

Matthew,

purchased smooth edged leukotape recently thru garage grown gear.  https://www.garagegrowngear.com/products/leukotape?variant=39322822738107

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

Thanks, John! Ordered.

Marcus
    BPL Member

@mcimes

Also all pharmacies around me have the 3m brand stuff with the smooth edge (same as leukotape)

CVS, Wallgreens, Rite Aid all have it in california

Eric Blanche
    BPL Member

@eblanche

Locale: Northeast US

Marcus, Care to elaborate? What exact 3m product is this? I’ve always only known to find this via amazon and would love to maybe find it via local sources for through hiking purposes.

Also, to further this thread, does anyone have a source for finding leukotape with a material backing so that it can be cut into strips without loosing adhesion? I had an amazon link about two years ago but have yet to recover it.

Chris FormyDuval
    BPL Member

@chform

Locale: RTP
    bradmacmt
    BPL Member

@bradmacmt

Locale: montana

Matthew, I like ordering from https://www.litesmith.com/leukotape-p-blister-prevention-tape/ – you can get the standard 15 yard, or mini 1/2 yard rolls.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

Eric, I like to lay it down on long sheets of silicone release paper that come from signmaker’s vinyl. If you happen to know someone who has a vinyl plotter or have a sign shop near by they will discard tons of the paper on a daily basis – just walk in and ask for some. They will think you are weird but they will give it to you.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

or you can put the leukotape on parchment paper – silicone coated paper for baking

it just barely sticks well enough to stay on

I’ve removed the leukotape from the parchment paper and put it on my foot and it’s stayed on my feet for days

Marcus
    BPL Member

@mcimes

I think this is more of less the same. Maybe someone else can confirm.

3m Nexcare line is great

https://www.walgreens.com/store/c/nexcare-absolute-waterproof-wide-tape-1.5-x-180-inches/ID=prod4071160-product

SIMULACRA
    BPL Member

@simulacra

Locale: Puget Sound

I’ve always put mine on waxed baking paper. I believe that’s the same as parchment paper? Mines clear’ish opaque. Yes, what Jerry said

Ray J
    BPL Member

@rhjanes

I ordered a 3-pack off Amazon in January.  It’s straight cut on the edge.  Have to tear off the piece you want.

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

It doesn’t work on standard Wax Paper.  I tried that one time and it stuck to the paper too well and I couldn’t get it released.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

wax paper is paper with wax on it

parchment paper is paper with silicone on it

I think I tried wax paper which didn’t work, but parchment paper did work

J R
    BPL Member

@jringeorgia

What also works well is the backing paper for peel-off stickers.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

Bummer. The tape from GGG has the ruffled edge as well. I think I’ll email Litesmith next.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

Quick response from Litesmith indicates they have the zigzag edge too. It looks like the manufacturer has changed the product.

SIMULACRA
    BPL Member

@simulacra

Locale: Puget Sound

Sorry to hear the wax paper didn’t work for you guys. Has always worked just fine for me. When I stick each piece onto a full sheet and cut into individual strips, I’ll leave a bit of exposed paper on each side (except for the very ends) just to make it easier to grab and pull off. I’ll try the parchment paper just for perspective though, thanks Jerry.

@ mathew k

One idea for the time being is to trim the jagged edges once put onto wax/parchment/sticker paper. Not ideal, I admit

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

Yeah trimming it with an blade along a straight edge was my thought too but I ended up with lots of exposed threads. Any way you do it you end up with a messy edge that seems prone to rubbing off. It’s definitely making me rethink my choice of tapes.

I do carry Tegaderm and KT in my FAK. I haven’t had good luck with KT on hotspots but maybe Tegaderm will work, it’s very sticky.

J R
    BPL Member

@jringeorgia

Is all this angst warranted? I see there is concern that the zigzag edges could be more prone to rolling up, but has anyone actually tried it with this new cut? I’m not seeing anyone in this thread say it’s actually happening. Leukotape sticks very well to skin, maybe this isn’t a problem.

bradmacmt
    BPL Member

@bradmacmt

Locale: montana

Is all this angst warranted?

@JR
    … where in the world would BPL be without angst? I’m not even sure it would exist!  :)

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

I stuck it to my foot, rubbed it down for a minute with the liner to adhere it then tried rolling and it came right up.

my angst is warranted! lol

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

And before anyone says it doesn’t come on a liner let me point out that I transferred mine to a liner because I’m cool like that.

Brian F
    BPL Member

@brian4d

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools