Topic

Leor Pantilat – Sierra High Route FKT attempt

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Speed Hiking and Fastpacking Leor Pantilat – Sierra High Route FKT attempt

Viewing 10 posts - 26 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    Ralph Burgess
    BPL Member

@ralphbge

Off trail, over mountains: only with Leor would you say “38 miles to go, so he should finish by tonight”!

The SHR is on-trail now down to Tuolumne, which I expect he will run at a good pace if he’s feeling good.    But from the Gaylor Lakes, there are >20 miles off-trail, until the last couple of miles.   I think if he gets over Horse Creek Pass at 6 miles to go by dusk, he should be able to follow the drainage down, even if slowly by flashlight.   Obviously he will be keen to get there by tonight – it would be frustrating to have to wait until daylight just to do the last few miles.

Should be an exciting finish.   I’ll be online today, I will try to update, although his SPOT signal was flakey yesterday.

169  Tioga Rd
    174  Mine Shaft Pass
    181  Sky Pilot Col (Shepherd Crest)
    189  Horse Creek Pass
    195  Finish

Allen C
    BPL Member

@acurrano

From Erica on Leor’s Facebook page:

“He sent a text from Tuolumne meadows ~7:30am. He’ll try to hit the custom message a few times today since now he knows SPOT is being spotty.”

So, 26 miles to go as of 7:30am. He is truly world class, but to me the most impressive part of this is that I’m pretty sure he could go even faster if he had to. He is going to break the FKT by a huge margin, while not moving for about 10 hours each night.

Ralph Burgess
    BPL Member

@ralphbge

He just pinged from Gaylor Lakes just beyond Tuolumne at 9am.  So he’s leaving the trail,  about 23 miles to go, 11.5 hours of daylight.   Looking good to finish this evening.

Allen C
    BPL Member

@acurrano

Past Conness at noon!

Ralph Burgess
    BPL Member

@ralphbge

17 miles to go, 8.5 hours of daylight.

Ralph Burgess
    BPL Member

@ralphbge

At 6pm Leor was approaching Horse Creek Pass, about 7 miles to go.  2.5 hours of daylight.   The last 6 miles are downhill, and the last few pick up a trail.  He’s looking certain to finish this evening now.

Allen C
    BPL Member

@acurrano

8:05 PM HE’S DONE!!!!!!!!
    NEW FKT in the books!

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

Wow!  Quite impressive considering the rather extreme off trail terrain, the limited night travel and the not so easy navigation- congrats Sir!

Adam White
    BPL Member

@awhite4777

Locale: On the switchbacks

Boy, I’m late to this party… Leor posted a TR yesterday (https://pantilat.wordpress.com/2016/08/14/sierra-high-route/), and I wanted to come here to post it. I should’ve known this bunch was spectating all along!

Outstanding and incredible. I’ve been putzing around on the SHR this year. 4d 16h 45m is herculean. Hats off to Leor!

Laura R
    BPL Member

@laura-r

I’m even later to the game.  To me, what’s even more impressive than the feat itself is the (credible) sense his trip report gives that the point was to experience the full aesthetic force of places he was passing, swiftly, through.  (On the other hand, if he was pursuing the sublime, why did he contrive to extract himself just as the Perseid meteor shower was taking it to 11 . . .? )

Viewing 10 posts - 26 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools