Topic

Leica Q for backpacking

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Leica Q for backpacking

Viewing 9 posts - 26 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    Gary Pikovsky
    BPL Member

@gosha007

Locale: New Hampshire White Mountains

Roger – what’s that pouch, by the way?

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Hi Gary

Need you ask??? MYOG of course. To fit MY camera.
    A bit of X-Pac and a shaped bit of 1/16″ neoprene foam inside, and a silnylon throat. Tiny plastic clips from … OWFINC iirc.

Cheers

Richie S
    BPL Member

@landrover

I’m all about the RX1 (and one day I will no doubt plunk down the cash for a II) but the RX100 is the one if anything beyond the iPhone comes with me.

Colin M
    BPL Member

@cmcvey23

Roger, that pack is sweet! The Zpacks is a bit big, I’d be happy to have you make me a smaller one that fits my camera like yours! :)

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Hi Colin

Right now I make and sell stoves. I will leave the sewing of little pouches like mine to the Asian factories, if they actually do make them. Hey – buy 5,000 and they will do that for you anyhow.

Cheers

Woubeir (from Europe)
    BPL Member

@woubeir

Has anyone seen this: http://store.tiffen.com/item/540-111/Standard-SLR-Action-Cover/ ? I have one and it works great.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

My “perfect” backpacking camera is the Olympus TG 4. It has an F2 lens and can accept proprietary lens attachments.

The main camera is waterproof to 60 ft. with a warning buzzer at 50 ft. Also very drop resistant (claimed 7 ft.drop resistance).

It also will, being a digital camera, take videos. It’s best to use a separate SD card for videos, IMO.

The TG 4 has many settings for various types of photography.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

A warning buzzer at 50′ – the mind boggles. Who would be listening?
    Drop resistant to 7′ – again, the mind boggles. I wonder whether the lens will take a 7′ drop onto a rock?

Not having a go at you Eric (I like Olympus), but at whoever wrote these specs. Of course, a little bit of ‘waterproof’ and a bit of ‘shock resistance’ is a very good thing. It’s the way they spec them that makes me wonder. Wierd bunch.

Cheers

HiLight
    BPL Member

@hilight

Locale: Directorate X

Several nice cameras have been mentioned, and Gary, you certainly have one of those. It seems you’re in love, and I hope the feeling endures past the next iteration of the Q. In my case, I won’t be changing camera bodies until the advent of the global shutter.

I bought into the Micro Four Thirds (MFT) system several years ago, and have been pleased with its versatility and cross-manufacturer support. While backpacking, I currently use an Olympus OM-D E-M1, often with the Olympus 12-40mm f2.8 Pro lens, carried in a holster bag. Having that weather sealed combo is a big bonus, and I find that the size, weight, & selection of MFT lenses meets my needs nicely. Anyone wanting to get into an interchangeable lens system should take a look at the wide variety of MFT cameras & lenses, but there are competing mounts that are definitely worth considering, too.

Someone simply wanting to compare camera size and weights might like http://camerasize.com/

Viewing 9 posts - 26 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools