Topic

Leave of Absence, solar eclipse, etc.

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Leave of Absence, solar eclipse, etc.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Stephen Parks
    Spectator

@sdparks

Locale: Southwest

Hi all.  I haven’t posted in a while as I’ve started a LOA from work and have been busy preparing for a road trip around the Ameican West, which of course will include some backpacking!  I’ve already spent a couple of weeks in Colorado, and I’ve just driven up to Wyoming today.  I’d like to find a hike to be on for the solar eclipse.  I’m not looking for solitude, but I figure the national parks will be bananas.  Maybe something in the wind river area?  The typical hikes there (cirque of the towers etc.) look like they will be a little too far south for the best eclipse viewing.  Any suggestions?  Does anyone have any similar plans?  I could make it over to Idaho if there are any good options over there.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

OK. So you know it’s going to be crowded everywhere…

From Pinedale, WY you have an easy drive to Elkhart Park trailhead.

Totality Path

Hike east to Photographers Point, then north for a few hours. There are plenty of spots to camp.

The Great Outrdoors Shop in Pinedale is a great local resource. And there is Lot to see in this general area.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

CalTopo

“Photographers Photographers” should be “Photographers Point”.

Edit to Add: Titcom Basin is a doable long day.  Totality will be about 2 minutes there. On the map above it is at the top edge, right of center – the double lake oriented north-south with the notation “4.0mi”.

Stephen Parks
    Spectator

@sdparks

Thank you Greg!

John Klinepeter
    BPL Member

@johnzotk

Locale: Northern Rockies, USA

I visit the “Winds” every year and plan to do so again this year.  Ordinarily I wait until after September 1 but this year the occurrence of the eclipse changed my timing.  My plans include filling in a few gaps, seeing places I have not been before.  I have already hiked about 80% of the mileage I intend to do this year.

Ordinarily the mountains are relatively dry in September; it will be nice to see a few more flowers than usual, I hope.  There might be a few more mosquitoes, too, but it shouldn’t be too severe.

I’m entering via Green River Lakes a few days before the eclipse which will put me a little north of the eclipse totality line shown on Greg’s map.  Bought some cheapo paper/plastic eclipse glasses (UL sunglasses!) though I will not stare at the sight for long periods.  Apparently it is OK to look at the moon/sun during totality without the aid of filters–take this with a big grain of salt, it’s just something I read a few days ago on what appeared to be a reputable website.

The eclipse is a bonus feature of what looks like an enjoyable backpack.  I was unaware of the eclipse until about five or six weeks ago.  Solo again this year, probably 60 to 65 miles.

Arthur
    BPL Member

@art-r

Are they installing a stoplight on the trail to Titcomb for the eclipse?  Or just speed bumps for the crowds?

Stephen Parks
    Spectator

@sdparks

I’m currently in Dubois.  Not that I’ll stay here for a week waiting, but if I’m in this area for the eclipse there are trailheads nearby that connect to the same trails.

I’ve got to decide if I want to commit to a backpacking trip during the eclipse or stay closer to the car for so I can be mobile if the weather looks cloudy.

Stephen Parks
    Spectator

@sdparks

The weather forecast is looking a little iffy for wyoming next week  (yes that’s a long way off for a weather forecast,  but still).  I’ll probably head over to Idaho – any suggestions for the Salmon Challis/ Sawtooth national forests?

Nick Smolinske
    BPL Member

@smo

Locale: Rogue Panda Designs

The summit of Borah peak would be incredible, if it’s not cloudy. That’s a dayhike so you can be flexible if the forecast looks bad. 11:30 am eclipse time roughly, so hopefully before afternoon t-storms. But a very early alpine start to get up it in time.

Here’s a caltopo map of the eclipse path. You can right click at different spots to get the point forecast. Very useful:

https://caltopo.com/m/42S9#

Good luck! I was hoping to be in Idaho but will probably just head to Nebraska and back.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools