Topic

Leave No Trace Winter Backpacking Best Practices

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable Leave No Trace Winter Backpacking Best Practices

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Mark Wetherington
    BPL Member

@markweth

Locale: Western Montana

Companion forum thread to: Leave No Trace Winter Backpacking Best Practices

An overview of how Leave No Trace techniques can be applied to winter backpacking.

John Conley
    BPL Member

@jchinthe-2

Interesting article. I’ve done a fair amount of winter/cold weather backpack camping and I’m curious about the pictures of the tarps installed with a foot or so of clearance above the ground/snow. My understanding has always been that one of the values of overhead cover is to contain rising heat and contribute to the general warmth. From what I know physics and thermodynamics it would seem that positioning the tarp with that much ground clearance (hence ample space for wind, etc, to enter under the tarp and whisk away any accumulated warmth) would seriously negate the value of using the tarp. Of course the tarp could/would still serve to block vertical rain/snow, but I don’t understand why it wouldn’t be preferable to pitch the tarp with only a very small amount of ground clearance (sufficient to allow some ventilation). I’d love to hear the explanations for this technique.

Bruce Tolley
    BPL Member

@btolley

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

@ John. Did you see Ryan Jordan’s recent article on investing the weight in insulation and not shelter?  He talked about how he uses tarps and sometimes just a bivy in that article.

Bruce Tolley
    BPL Member

@btolley

@ Mark. This was a very thorough and comprehensive article.

I was very surprised at the LNT.org recommendation to bury human feces.  It might be acceptable for solo camping but I would hate to come across in early summer a site where three or four snow campers spend a couple of days.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

However . . . during the thaw the snow melts and tends to dissolve any faeces and wash them down into the soil. If the campers spread out a bit it is unlikely that you would see anything in the spring. (In my experience.)

Um – you might however see the odd bit of TP on the surface. Not much: that generally also dissolves.

Cheers

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

I’ve winter camped in snow trenches, snow caves, built-up Quinzhees, tarps and, my favorite, DOUBLE WALL TENTS.  The others are “OK” except for tarps. Don’t like ’em in winter.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

and, my favorite, DOUBLE WALL TENTS.
    I can agree! So does Sue.

Cheers

Bruce Tolley
    BPL Member

@btolley

My local Sierra Club Snow Camping Section uses wag bags to pack out human feces and TP.

We also started to do periodic LNT “audits” of the locations where we conduct the two different introductory snow camping classes, the first for one night and the second for two nights.

The audit found bits and pieces of gear and kit: Metal deadmen, lost articles of clothing, lost spoons, etc.

So in the spirit of continuous process improvement we had a discussion on how to obviate losing items.  We also moved away from the practice of using chopsticks from your favority Chinese takeout restaurant (almost always bamboo) as  deadmen since folks were indolent about getting the bamboo chopsticks out of the the sintered snow when packing up, and bamboo is not a wood naturally found in the Sierra Nevada.

Ian H
    BPL Member

@carpus

I usually eat meals in a bag when camping, these bags get packed out, so they’re easy to use as a toilet!

They stand up by themselves, and are stable in light wind. Haven’t tried in a whole gale but they work in the rain. Ziplock seal them, then into the Sea to Summit trash bag.

It’s a minor annoyance that the trash bag gets heavier, but not as much as the food bag lightens. And a warm inner glow of not adding pollution/nitrogenous fertiliser to the environment (except some yellow snow). It’s not as hard as for my Antarctic Division mates who have to lug the ‘honeypot’ portable toilet, even urine is carried out in a serious ‘leave no trace’.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools